I have 2 smocked bonnets I am working on - both are baby gifts. I thot I would share on my blog my progression of just the smocking. This is bonnet #1. I just made up the smocking as I went along - no pattern to follow. Sorry for the color differences in the pics - lighting wasn't the best for some of them.
All pleated and ready to smock - I pleated 5 rows.
On Row 1 & Row 5, I stitched the cable stitch.
Sorry, forgot to take a pic in between here, but I added 3 cables
above and below Row 1 & 5 in a darker shade of pink. I then decided
to do 2-step trellis waves on Rows 2-4 in the darker shade of pink.
Using an even darker shade of pink, I stitched 2 stacked cables in every other
diamond, and I wanted to work it in a diagonal, but since I was making it up,
I wasn't sure just where I was going to go from there.
I decided to go back and stitch 2 stacked cables on the top & bottom rows of diamonds.
To finish it off, I then decided to add a little bling to it and stitched
2 stacked cables on the middle row in green.