Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Sewing Classic!

I decided that since I am sort of taking you on a little trip thru my sewing room that I would share this little gem with you! 



I inherited this little sewing classic from my grandmother. It's a Singer 221 Featherweight and it works like a charm! This classic machine was made from the mid-1930's until the early 1960's. This particular machine's "birthdate" is somewhere between 1948 and 1950. It's claim to fame was to sew the most even stitch of any sewing machine, and I will say, it does sew a very even stitch! This little machine only weighs 11 lbs, which makes it perfect for taking on trips and to workshops, which is why it's a very sought after machine by quilters. It doesn't sew any fancy stitches, it only sews forward and backwards, but it's a dream machine. I just LOVE the design of the machine with all the gold embossing and even the gold plate on the front of the machine!





I also have the original manual to the machine, which is quite interesting to read thru! There are many pages of heirloom sewing techniques within the book, here are just a few:



Sewing lace together with edge-stitcher



Making a French Seam



Tucks & Shirring



Smocking
Much of the techniques taught in the manual can be applied to today's machines.

Sitting next to my Singer Featherweight, I have a Singer Buttonholer, that actually went to an old Singer that my mother used to have. This is a very interesting little sewing gadget. I have all the original parts and they all are tucked into the original green plastic case.


There are nine buttonhole cams of various buttonhole sizes and style that fit into the main buttonholer attachment. This buttonholer amazes me when I look at it. Can you can imagine how excited seamstresses back in it's day might have been to have the mechanics of making a buttonhole with their sewing machine versus the painstaking challenge of sewing one secure enough by hand? 

I have many modern sewing machines in my sewing room, but I still really enjoy my little Sewing Classic!



6 comments:

Memaw's memories said...

A gal in my office has one of these litle beauties. It was given to her by a neighbor who was cleaning out her mother's things. It has the book, all the attachments and a buttonhole worker.

This was quite a machine in it's day. Sure wish I had one.

Goosegirl said...

Oh my those buttonhole attachments look divine! I think you have a mighty special treasure in that little Featherweight. Thank you for all the pretty pictures.

Sara said...

I have one just like that. It was given to me by my sister in law when her grandmother passed away. I love mine too!!

Miss Sews-it-all said...

What a great machine! That sure is an oldie but goodie. I also have a Featherweight that is my stow-and-sew machine for travelling to sewing groups. Happy sewing!

April said...

I LOVE IT!!! And you simply must try that Buttonholer - it makes the most divine buttonholes. I use mine on my Featherweight all.the.time! :)

Jeannie B. said...

How lovely to see your machine. I have my Mothers (in my closet) that I have never used. She was still using it when she passed away 22 years ago. Her newer machine was set aside. She raved about the buttonholes the machine made. You have inspired me to get it out and sew on it!! Thank you, Jeannie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails