Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Working some stitches into a busy day!

I am taking a little break from my project today because I have my sweet grandson, Paxton, today. This is what my Bonus Room looks like when I have him here - LOL! Actually, this is neat, compared to what it will look like in here later today!
Needless to say, not much work gets done in the sewing room, or anywhere else for that matter, while he is here. Molly (our sweet English Springer Spaniel) & Paxton are continually on the move so when "Neena" is not being asked to play, I can manage to find a little time to work some stitches into a busy day!
My favorite type hand sewing is English Smocking
This is another one of my experiments that I am trying out that you just might find on my blog in the future, if it's a success!
Since this is Smocking Month, I wanted to share with you a few things about smocking. First of all, my awesome sewing friend Sara, is offering her very first giveaway! I met Sara on a sewing message board several years ago, and found out she lives in TN just a few hours from me! From the wonders of the internet, Sara and I have become not only sewing buddies, but good friends! Sara, has hosted two annual sewing retreats at her Pickwick Lake cabin, where I got to meet several more of my internet sewing friends! You can read about our most recent sewing retreat from last Spring HERE! Anyway, Sara is offering her very first giveaway which has everything to do with smocking! Please take time to visit her blog and enter her giveaway HERE!  
I am also going to share with you a couple more blogs with smocking this month. The first is LaSewista! - make sure you check out the darling smocked pockets that my friend Bunny made! The 2nd blog I am sharing with you is from my friend Rett, at The Gazebo House. Rett shares pictures of her beautiful smocked bonnet, as well as her grand-daughter, Caroline (who looks like Sweet Pea from the AT&T commercial) modeling a beautiful chocolate brown with pink polka dots smocked dress. Rett also has gorgeous table-scapes she blogs about - you will wish you were at her house for breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner!

I love smocking and sharing my smocking with others thru tutorials. My video tutorials have helped women from all over the world learn the art of smocking. I am so glad my tutorials are beneficial to others who are wanting to learn, just beginning to learn the art, or perfecting their smocking stitches & skills. I am a member of SAGA - Smocking Arts Guild of America, and have been involved in the SAGA Artisan program for several years. I encourage you to find a SAGA chapter in your area and join - you not only meet other women who can teach you, but you have opportunities to participate in classes with internationally known teachers in the world of sewing. I am taking a class with Cindy Foose in Franklin, TN in March that I am "sew" excited about! I hope to share some of what Cindy teaches me in a future blog post!
Ok, I need to get back to playing with P, then hoping to slip into the sewing room during his afternoon nap!

6 comments:

ShirleyC said...

I can totally relate to what your bonus room looks like with Paxton there. My whole house is in shambles when Cayden and Shelby are here, but it is worth it.
I've looked at your videos, and I need to pleat a project and watch again. It always helps when I haven't smocked in a while.

Rettabug said...

First of all, I can't believe how BIG Mr. P. has gotten!! Lord have mercy, what are y'all feedin' that boy?!

Second, thanks for the compliments on my blogs & smocking. You are too kind & have been soooo helpful in getting me to where I am today with that needle art. Still haven't mastered picture smocking, though. ;)

I ♥ all your wonderful tutorials, Laurie. I've gone back to review many a second & third time.

fondly,
Rett

p.s. I'd forgotten about that commercial, but you're right! Ms. C. does look a little like Sweet Pea. LOL

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Aw! Your grandson looks like he is having loads of fun!
Molly looks like she is standing guard :o)

Look forward to seeing more smocking and also going over to Sara's.

Blessings & Aloha!
I have something for you...and even if you are an award free blogger or have had this one given to you already...just know that I was thinking of ya! Please come and take a peek at what it is...

Memaw's memories said...

Sounds like you are a busy gal, and your smocking is beautiful. What kind of thread are you using on the piece in the picture? It looks like a sort of perl cotton. I'm very curious.

LAnderson said...

Yes, I am using Perle Cotton #8 - I love to use it when doing geometric smocking - it has a nice sheen and you only use 1 strand!

Michelle (Shell) May said...

Beautiful smocking! Adorable grandkiddo and dog! Thanks so much for stopping by to visit with me and the bunnies! We are excited to be following your blog. Your creations are sooooooooo beautiful!
hugs and friends,
shell

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails