Friday, March 5, 2010

"Daydreams" smocked daygown & bonnet

Did you notice that I have a new header on my blog? I decided to make a new banner that really represents my passion for sewing! Photographed in my header is a daygown and bonnet that I created several years ago. It's been one of my favorite and one of the sweetest heirloom gowns that I have made! This gown is perfect as a Blessing or Christening gown or for Sunday Church! This baby bishop gown and bonnet are smocked on pure white batiste with a touch of blue and pink! Don't forget that you can click on each picture to see a larger picture.
Gown Front
Gown Back
What I really liked about this gown is that it had alot of different techniques on it; smocking, pin tucks, shadow work embroidery, bullion roses and joined lace for the hem. The bishop neckline is smocked with perle cotton #8 in white, accented with a touch of blue and finished off with pink bullion roses. 
Close up of Smocked Bishop Neckline

Close up of front of gown

Close up of back of gown

The hem of the gown features three shadow worked bows between two sets of pintucks. There is a shadow worked bow on either side of the front of the gown and one centered on the back of the gown.

The sleeves of the gown are smocked in white with just a touch of blue for accent.


Between each of the buttons down the front of the gown is a bullion rose.

The bonnet has a dainty band of smocking to coordinate with the front 
of the gown, along with 3 rows of pin tucking.

Close up of bonnet smocking.

The pattern for the gown is in Australian Smocking and Embroidery Issue No.36 from 1996. There is a bonnet pattern in the magazine, but I used my own tapered bonnet pattern for the smocked bonnet and used the smocking graph in the AS&E article.
I hope I have inspired you to make a beautiful daygown and bonnet for someone you love! As always, if you need assistance in smocking, or shadow work, my tutorials are available!


10 comments:

Kathy said...

Just gorgeous Laurie, as is all of your work! Almost makes me want to get my pleater going again:) Somehow even living in your home did not get me to be as talented:) lol.

Love the music too, Twila is a fav!

KathyKerr

Lois said...

As Twila says, "How beautiful!" I'm enjoying your blog...and your new banner is sew beautiful! You do such lovely things.

Sara said...

Love your new header. That smocked set is, as always with your work, pure perfection!!! You just can't get much sweeter or more precious than that!!!

Martha said...

So pretty. Love it.

Amanda said...

you are so talented!!

Julia said...

This gown and bonnet are beautiful!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

beautiful, beautiful!

You talked about what inspires you in your last post. Yes, Your blog with all your amazing creations, definitely inspires me! (Can I "retire" now, so that I can get back to sewing?...and to think that I just started working outside of the home full time!...I really shouldnt be looking so forward to retiring already!)

Rettabug said...

SEW beautiful & SEW well done, Laurie! The pink & pale blue look so perfect together. You are truly a very talented seamstress. I love all your special touches.

The new header is wonderful & it shows off your passion for heirloom items.

Thanks for your comments on my blog. I wish I could share some homemade bread & soup with you in person!
fondly,
Rett

LAnderson said...

Thanks "sew" much for all the lovely comments!

iveyc95 said...

Hey Laurie! I saw your sweet note on my blog. I love your work, it's all so lovely.I'm now a follower of yours too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails