Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What inspires you to sew?

Often times I'm asked from both sewing and non-sewing friends alike, what inspires me to sew. Inspiration for sewing comes in many different forms for me, and comes at many different times too. There are times when I go weeks without sewing (most often, it's not b/c I don't want to, it's b/c life can get so crazy at times) and then there are times when I can't pull myself out of the sewing room. There are times I get so caught up in sewing that time seems to stand still, then all off a sudden I realize it's time to start dinner and I haven't even had lunch yet!


I'm not really sure I could even list all the ways that I am inspired to sew, because I am inspired in so many different ways! Sometimes the littlest thing can spark an inspiration and often times sleepless nights find me with my mind racing to create something, which is exactly how I came up with this pattern!


I get inspired to sew when I am at home, on vacation or shopping, watching TV, surfing the web or reading blogs of what others are creating. The birth of a baby always inspires me to sew - nothing is more precious than sewing for a brand new baby! I am very excited that there will be 4 new babies in our family to sew for in 2010 - 2 nieces and 2 nephews and their spouses are expecting babies from March thru September - how exciting is that?!


I love to spend a day antiquing at local shops and 
often times just seeing vintage laces can inspire me to sew. 
Here are a few of the many vintage laces I have in my collection:

Not only am I inspired by Vintage laces, but I am also inspired by currently available laces and trims! Sometimes just finding a beautiful piece of lace or trim can inspire me to seek out  a pattern and fabric that I can use that lace or trim on!

I also love finding Vintage Patterns at local Antique shops, on e-bay , etsy, or online shops! 
There is something about Vintage Patterns that inspire me to sew! Vintage garments also inspire me to sew and I especially love recreating vintage baby garments!

  
Fabrics & Ribbons can also inspire me to sew - just come to my sewing room and see how much fabric and ribbon I have collected due to a sudden inspiration I got just by seeing a pretty piece of fabric or gorgeous ribbon that I just HAD to have! 

Probably one of the biggest inspirations I get for sewing comes from the very pages of my favorite sewing magazines - Sew Beautiful, Australian Smocking & Embroidery and Ottobre Magazine. I love to see how other designers use their creativity with a particular pattern, fabric, lace, trim and use their own interpretation of a pattern! 
Sometimes it inspires me to create my own interpretation of the pattern that might be very different from what I have seen in the magazine.

These are just a few of the ways I am inspired, but there are so many other ways in which I am inspired to sew too! My antique button collection, can inspire me or using a vintage sewing machine that belonged to my grandmother, just b/c I want to sew on it. Creating trims on my sewing machine can also be an inspiration to sew, as well as using Vintage Linens and recreating family Vintage Heirlooms

I think it would be fun sometime to do a blog entry on posting a particular pattern to inspire those who would like to participate to make the pattern with their own interpretation and post pictures of all the creative ways the pattern was used - what do you think? Would you be interested in participating?


BTW (by the way), I just need 10 more followers and I will post a giveaway for reaching my goal of 100 followers! :)

6 comments:

julia said...

at this point in my life it is my grandchildren that inspire me to sew. Other bloggers' posts, fabrics, lace, antique linens, patterns, walking through a children's shop, or just waking up in the middle of the night with an idea!

benbes said...

nice post about how to inspire people for sewing, just amazing.
brother sewing machines

ShirleyC said...

Many of the reasons you listed are also my inspiration. I just love "all things sewing." I've been sewing since I was a kid and had very few options as to fabric. We were poor, and we either used fabric given to us or bought only what was on sale. So now I really have to hold myself back from buying pretty fabric. My biggest inspiration is just being able to sew for my granddaughter. I sewed for my daughter, and it is just a satisfying feeling.

Memaw's memories said...

My grandchildren are my inspiration. Sewing when I was younger was a form of therapy. Now it's my joy to make things for them. My 6 year old grandson wanted his own Santa suit for Christmas, and a cowboy vest for himself and his little sister. Mostly, I like to smock, but I also love learning new techniques and transforming them into garments for the granddaughters.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Lovely inspirations! Hm....wish you lived next door! :o)

Blessings & Aloha!
(finally with a wee bit of free time, so catching up on some of my fav blog reading).

I love the baby booties you created too.

(oh and I see your award :o) You definitely deserve this one and more awards...what I like to call blog hugs :o)

funyhony said...

it’s very wonderful.Great article, i hope can know much information About it
The Notebook Quotes
Netbooks Notebooks Laptops Computers Reviews
Free Very Funny Videos Clips on Youtube

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails