Thursday, April 8, 2010

Picture Smocking

I am still working on this project and I have started to work on my picture smocked figures. Some of you who aren't familiar with smocking might wonder what Picture Smocking is and how it differs from Geometric Smocking. Geometric smocking is where you form patterns with different stitches used in smocking. Picture Smocking is where you form pictures with stacked cable stitches. The pictures are created entirely by cable stitches worked in rows on top of each other.
Before I started the figures, I completed the borders and back smocking of my project, which you can read about here, in case you missed it. For picture smocking, you should use 4 strands of DMC embroidery floss. I have started with a fish, which is in the very center of my smocked insert.
Here are my first two rows
Since I am using three different colors in the fish, I like to thread 3 needles with the 3 colors - this makes it easier to just pick up the correct needle and continue on without making lots of knots in the back of my smocking, and it saves me so much time in threading my needle for each color! 
Back of smocking - 3 needles threaded for the 3 colors used
Half-way done with my fish!
I completed my fish by adding a 2-wrap french knot for the eye and 3 pearls for bubbles!
I have a few more sea creatures to make on my insert that I will share with you as I work on them in the coming days! The smocking design is my own that I designed several years ago!

5 comments:

bubbygigi said...

I love your fish. I just finished some picture smocking but I have a long way to go. If you'd like to see the jumper that I just posted on my blog, please check out http://bubbygigi.blogspot.com Gigi/Gita

Esther Grant said...

Love the multi-colors and thank you for the great tip on alleviating too many knots on the back. I still struggle a bit getting my stacking to come out nice and full. Is it easier to stack on finer fabric than it is on thicker ones?

Julia said...

I love the fish! I haven't done a lot of picture smocking. I think I will for my next smocked dress.

MamaCta! said...

Wow, that is amazing. I have never done any smocking but reading your blog is getting me motivated to try it!

Anonymous said...

I smock and am learning to picure smock .How do you learn how to center the design if it does not tell you on the plate??

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails