Thursday, May 20, 2010

{Adventures in Smocking}

Hand Smocking is probably my most favorite past-times! I love it because you can take it wherever you go and work on it. I don't think there is ever a time when I don't have something ready to smock or something that I am in the midst of smocking. I enjoy smocking in the evenings while the TV is on, and I also enjoy taking my smocking out on the porch and working on it while my grandson plays outside. I also take smocking on trips with me.
This past week I have been working on a smocking project that I thot I would give you a little sneak peek at it. This is my own original design - both the smocking design and what I am going to create with the panels that I am smocking. I hope you enjoy seeing what I am up to this week and that it just might inspire you to pick up some smocking.
I am smocking white on white
and accenting with a bit of tan.
In case you wondered, I am smocking with DMC Pearl Cotton #8. There are certain smocking projects that I just like to use this thread with. One stand is used for smocking and it has the prettiest sheen! It also raises your smocking up off the fabric, creating a beautiful dimention!
Close up of smocking
On the bottom edge of my smocked panel
I attached some lace edging with wing-needle pin-stitching
Here is a completed panel with 
my original smocking design
Two completed panels and one
double length one to go!
I can't wait to share with you what I am creating! I hope to begin construction next week! I won't even ask you all to guess what it might be, because I am certain not one single person would guess correctly.
If you have never smocked, but have always wanted to learn, I have some smocking tutorials that you can watch and learn how to smock at your own convenience! Just head on over to my website and click on Tutorials! As always, if you ever have any questions about smocking, just e-mail me.
I am also finishing up on "The Cherry Dress" and I should have it completed this week - can't wait to show you it!
I also have the most AWESOME giveaway I am working on - I know you are gonna LOVE it! I can't wait to share it with you, but I am still working out all the details. You don't even have to be a seamstress to want this new giveaway!

2 comments:

Ellie Inspired said...

You have lots of exciting things going on! That smocking is so elegant. I can't wait to see what it will become (I have an idea but not sure I'm right). I will be checking back to see about your giveaway too!

Karen said...

Such pretty smocking and I love the design. I never used the DMC#8 before. I'll have to give that a try. I have a guess about the item you are making. Is it a basinett/moses basket/cradle cover or skirt?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails