Friday, May 21, 2010

{Applying Lace & Pin stitching}


I had several people e-mail me and ask about pin stitching after reading my last journal entry, so I decided to create a tutorial and show you not only how to pin stitch, but how to roll, whip and appy lace in one easy step!

To begin, you will need to starch your fabric and choose the lace edging. I am using a Bernina #3 foot on my Bernina Artista 200.
Set your machine to a zig-zag stitch with the following settings:
stitch width = 4.0
stitch length = 1.5
needle position = 3rd dot from the left
Place the lace on top of the fabric, right sides together
The lace will be lined up to the left of the center prong on the foot
The fabric edge will be lined up to the right of the center prong on the foot
Begin stitching and as you stitch the fabric will roll like magic over the edge of the lace!
         Close up of rolled and whipped edge

Press lace away from fabric

Supplies needed for Pin Stitching:
Stitch 'n Ditch paper
120 wing needle
Set machine stitch to pin stitch, which looks 
sort of like a ladder without one side
You might have to mirror image the stitch, like I did - the "rungs" of the ladder should stitch over the lace heading towards the right.
Machine Settings:
Stitch width = 2.5
Stitch length = 2.5
*please note that these are the settings I used - you might have to adjust the width and length on the project you are working on.
Place a piece of Stitch 'n Ditch paper under fabric and lace
Align the needle so that the left straight stitch line will be directly 
above the lace heading - "rungs of ladder" will stitch into the lace
*Note: I like to use a clear foot for this step, as it makes it alot easier to see where the lace meets the fabric and to keep my straight stitch directly above the lace seam line.
As you stitch you will be able to see the beautiful pin stitching!
When complete, tear the Stitch 'n Ditch paper away
Finished beautiful pin stitched edge!
There are all kinds of things you can do Pin stitching on; the edge of sleeves, around a neck edge, on the brim of a baby bonnet, the edge of a baby blanket, on a hem.....really almost anywhere that you have attached a lace edge, you can embellish with pin stitching! You can read about a dainty diaper set that I made using a corded pin stitch - HERE
I hope I have inspired you try my technique for the roll, whip and apply lace in one easy step and also for creating a pin stitch to the lace heading!
Happy Stitching!!

10 comments:

Simple Southern Happiness said...

You do not know how much I needed this tutorial! Thank you in a "BIG" way for posting it. Now that I have a visual I wont be afraid to try it.

everythingsewing said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial, you make it look doable.

Nonie

Rettabug said...

You make it look so easy, Laurie! I don't know why I've struggled to get mine so nice looking but it never looks as good as yours. Must be operator error! LOL
Thanks for the very clear instructions & detailed photos.

Jennifer said...

Just found your blog through Elegant Stitches on FB. I LOVE pinstitching! What a wonderful demo! I know where to send several friends now when I can't demo. =)

Lisa said...

Hi,
I was wandering what kind of thread you are using to attach the lace.Do you always use white thread or do you match the color of the fabric.Also is stitch in the ditch paper the same as tear a way stabalizer?

Donna said...

Thank you for this tutorial. I looked for days for this!!! I looked under pin stitch and found nothing! The words fabric to lace pin stitch got me to you, and exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you Thank you thank you

Laws said...

Thank you so much Laurie, I have been looking for about five years for the pinstitching and lace info. and have at last found it and it makes it even better that I have my Bernina machine like you, to follow all the advice through. So grateful to you.
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this excellent tutorial. I have struggled with this for some time but your detailed instructions accompanied with pictures has made the entire process so very clear . Great job!

AMCutler said...

Thank you! Thank you! I'm making my first heirloom pieces. I'm working on three Downton Abby inspired Easter dresses for my three little girls. They include smocking, embroidery and heirloom stitches. I think I should have started with an easier project! But this tutorial has really helped out. I love the results!

DangAndBlast! said...

argh, finally tried this and find that my mother reassigned stitches on the Bernina back when she got it, and of course today's computers won't "talk" to it... guess what? the wing needle isn't that great at doing a floral decorative stitch, even when the sticker says it's a pinstitch :) So now off to the Bernina repairman to see if they can do some sort of factory reset on the machine...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails