Monday, May 10, 2010

{"Continuing Ed" in Sewing}

I am in a "must get organized" frame of mind lately! We are in the midst of several home improvement jobs and am trying desperately to get organized, including in my sewing room! "Stuff" just seems to accumulate soooo quickly and then one day you scratch your head and ask yourself just how did I accumulate soooo much stuff?!?! Sometimes it gets overwhelming and I feel like I need to take Maxine's approach to dig thru it all! 
While searching for a pattern the other day, I had an encounter with several UFO's!!! It happens often in my house, but it most bothers me in the sewing room! Two of the UFO's I encountered I distinctly remember promising myself that they would never graduate as a PhD! 
UnFinished Objects and Projects half Done are what I am referring to in case you wondered! The two are basically interchangeable, except for me a UFO tends to keep it's status indefinably, while I try to steer PhD's into a "continuing ed" mode. I decided that I would share with you the two "PhD's" that I encountered as UFO's! I'm almost ashamed to tell you that the projects began at Martha Pullen's "Lace Camp" in February of 2008! I really intended to finish them just as soon as I got home from "Lace Camp", but good intentions are never enough! My next thought was that I would wait until I have a grand-daughter and that would give me the incentive to finish. However on Mother's Day, we found out this:
Now that I am  totally side-tracked on sewing for a BOY, I am going to have to force myself to finish these projects that only a future grand-daughter can wear!
This is a gorgeous Christening/Blessing Gown that 
I most definably want to finish! It's just too pretty to leave
it in the state that it's in right now!
All pattern pieces are traced out with a water-soluble marker. Side note: I have a friend that once used the air-soluble marker and had a huge project all marked out - she put the project away and later went to work on it only to find all her marks had air-dried away! If you aren't going to finish the project in a few hours, then make sure you use a water-soluble marker! 
The skirt of the gown has four channels of pulled thread 
- this takes LOTS of time, but it's ohhh sooo pretty!
If you look two pictures down, you can see how 
the skirt embellishment will look when completed. 
I did manage to complete the bonnet that goes with the gown! 
By the way - the fabric is organdy.
The skirt of the Christening/Blessing gown will have this same embellishment!
When completed, it will look like this (hopefully)!
Here's another neglected project!
I sure hope I can remember the techniques that 
I learned on this little dress because they were amazing!
When completed it should look like this! I just LOVE this little dress!!!
Both of these patterns are available at Debbie Glenn's Love & Stitches website. If you ever get the opportunity to take a class with Debbie, I highly recommend it! She's is a master-mind at sewing techniques!
I hope you enjoyed my PhD's and I hope it inspires you to seek out the UFO's in your sewing room and work on a little "continuing ed" to complete them! I would love to hear about some of your most neglected projects that you really do intend to finish someday! Please leave a comment and tell me about them!

4 comments:

Ellie Inspired said...

Laurie,
I feel SOOOOO much better knowing that you have UFO's too!! :) They look like they will be pretty when they're done.
Laura

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

Laurie,
I am just about in the same situation as you. I can barely move about in my sewing room for all the unfinished projects. You are inspiring me to get some work done.

everythingsewing said...

You always inspire me. I need to organize so am looking forward to more of your marvelous ideas.

Nonie

Rettabug said...

Laurie, I ran across a UFO from our last Lace Camp trip just today!! We must be on the same wavelength. Wanna bet you finish yours before I do?? LOL

Congratulations on your soon-to-be-here new little grandson!
'Snips & snails & puppy dog tails, indeed'. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails