Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Piping a Peter Pan Collar

My title almost reminds me of a well-known tongue twister - "Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers" LOL! I promise you won't get tongue twisted in my "Piping a Peter Pan Collar" tutorial today!
I am in the process of re-drafting my pattern, "The Cherry Dress", and while I was constructing a sample, I thought I would make up a tutorial on how to pipe a collar, while at the same time giving you a little sneak peek into my newly revised pattern!
Cut out pattern on cutting lines
I use a water or air soluble pen and mark each collar 
piece with a "B" or "F"for Back and Front of collar.
I made my own piping - you can find a tutorial on this HERE!
Carefully snip every 1/2" along the length of piping
Snipping the piping makes it easy to place it on a curve!
Pin piping to collar edge
Set needle position to one dot from the end
Using a zipper foot, stitch piping to collar following stitching line on piping
Place collar facing to right side of collar 
It will be sandwiched as shown with piping in the middle
 Pin all layers together
Set needle position to the last dot on the left
Using the zipper foot, follow the previous stitching line and stitch
Once completed, your new stitching line will fall 
just inside the previous stitching line
Trim seam to outside stitching line
Turn collar right side out and press!
That's all there is to it!
My next journal entry will show how to attach a peter pan collar to the garment. I hope that this tutorial is beneficial to you in your sewing. I know some people shy away from piping a collar, but it really is easy! I think the most important step is making sure that you have snipped the piping so that it will easily wrap around the collar edge. I also think it really helps when you use the two needle positions in the steps of attaching the piping. Please share this journal entry with anyone that might be interested in learning how to pipe a peter pan collar!


7 comments:

Goosegirl said...

Great collar tute Laurie. You know how much I love cherries and the cherry dress. I think this little collar is precious.

Julia said...

Great tutorial. I love piped peter pan collars.

Jean said...

Thanks, Laurie, I think I can tackle this now.

Rettabug said...

I soooooo could have used this when I was learning how to do these!!! You make it so easy to understand.

I just pulled out my Cherry Dress pattern that I got from you last year. *blush* Still haven't made it. I'll be interested in seeing what you're doing differently.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! I have a dress that has been sitting on my machine for a week for fear of ruining my beautiful embordered piped collar by attaching it wrong. Thank you, you saved my dress!

Samurai Mom said...

Thank you so much! I was banging my head on the wall trying to get my piping to lay flat. I suspected that clipping might work but I was too frustrated to try again and fail. I am tired of unpicking that collar. Now i have confidence!

Esther Conrad Grant said...

Awesome tutorial, Laurie. Thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails