Wednesday, July 28, 2010

{Sweet Vintage Dress}

I have a very sweet vintage baby dress in my collection that actually belonged to me when I was a baby! I kinda hated to use the word "vintage" and "me" in the same sentence, but I guess I am getting old to that age where my baby clothes could be considered "vintage".
The story behind my dress, if I remember correctly, is that my mom got this sweet dress and slip for a baby shower gift for her first pregnancy. She never got to use the dress, because her first pregnancy resulted in a boy, so she saved it for her next baby. Baby #2 was another boy, so she saved it again for the next baby. Baby #3 was, yep, you guess it, another boy! It wasn't until baby #4 that she finally produced a girl and I don't think there is even a picture of me wearing this sweet little dress!!!
I absolutely love the tiny tucks in this dress along with the embroidery, and the neckline is just tooooo cute!
My goal someday, is to re-create this sweet vintage dress using this pattern by The Old Fashioned Baby.
I have some VERY exciting things I am working on for the near future - I hope to make an announcement very soon, meanwhile I am working hard to complete the instructions for "Jack 'n Jill" so that I can get it posted on my website as soon as possible!


8 comments:

Susan said...

I love your heirloom sewing. I hope someday I can sew that well, I am still just a novice.

Virginia said...

That is beautiful! I would love to be able to sew something like that by hand; what a labor of love!

Rettabug said...

Hey Laurie,

With 3 boys to chase after, who can blame your Mom for not taking time to get your picture taken in that beautiful dress? LOL I think it is a wonderful heirloom treasure & I'm so glad you still have it!

Looking forward to seeing what you're working on now. :-)

Ginny said...

This dress is similar to several that I have in my possession. We're not sure whether my mom or grandmother was the first to wear them. Yours is lovely!

Nan said...

Stopping by to say Hi!.

I'm your newest follower.

Thank you for share nice blog I like your post :-),

I just got back from short trip to Ban Chiang Heritage you can read on my post.

http://beonefineday.blogspot.com/2010/08/whats-made-my-sunday-gone.html

my community is http://theblogfrog.com/1233755

Have a nice day.

Nan

sandy said...

That such a darling dress and how nice that it was saved for you.
I'm a Bloggerette Sister still making the rounds.
Sandy

Julia said...

OH my, how breathtakingly beautiful!

Scrapping With Sherry said...

What a sweet dress. I would love to see your new creations. I will be keeping my eye out for them.

I came by today to introduce myself. My name is Sherry and I have joined the Bloggerette Sorority. I have only been blogging for almost 30 days so I missed the Rush, but I look forward to taking part in future events. I would be honored if you would like to come by for a visit at http://scrappingwithsherry1.blogspot.com/ Hope to see you there!

Take Care~ Sherry

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails