Tuesday, August 17, 2010

{a day of designing}

Today I had a few hours to myself in my sewing room and was able to put what was in my head, on paper, then apply that to fabric and it appears as if I had a successful day! I won't know for sure tho, until it is tried on a REAL person, but it sure looks cute on my dress form!
In case you can't tell, it's a maternity/nursing hospital gown! My daughter is pregnant with her first baby, and she is a L&D nurse, so she's gotten to see alot of moms, and some of them have had cute gowns for their hospital stay. Most hospital gowns are so faded & used drab and ugly, so I wanted her to have something pretty for her special day when her sweet baby arrives. That is what inspired me to create this maternity/nursing hospital gown! You know, I could have purchased her a gown similar to this, but since I love a challenge and had specific features I thought would make for a great before and after birth gown, I decided to get to work and design one! 
After I put pencil to paper and designed the gown, I then cut it out and draped it on my dress form to make sure that it was working the way I had envisioned it.
The next goal was to give it an empire waist, which was my daughter's request. While the gown was on my dress form, I planned out where the cinched waist would be.
Using bias tape, I created a casing for ribbon.
 I wanted this gown to have many of the features of a regular hospital gown, so snaps were in order for the shoulders. This allows easy access for her nurses and doctor and also doubles it's use for easy access to breast-feeding.
Snap shoulder of gown
Another feature I wanted was for the back to snap, rather than a typical hospital gown where it ties in the back. How many hospital gowns have you worn that the ties were missing and you showed your butt to the world ahem, flashed everyone in the hospital? I hate that! This gown snaps all the way down in the back, so there will be no worries of, ummm, flashing anyone!
Snap back
It opens easy if need be, but doesn't give anyone a peek
at your "sweet cheeks" when you are up and about!
I designed the front with an easy over-lap opening, which allows for the gown to completely open out at the front. This works great for monitors that are connected to the belly during labor. The front crosses over either way and ties to the side. This is a great feature, as breast-feeding moms need to keep track of which breast they nursed their baby on  - it will be easy to remember just by seeing which side the front is tied to.
The empire waist can be cinched up as much or as little as you like, making this great for wearing during pregnancy as well as after the baby arrives! 
Front & back view
I shipped the gown off to my daughter this afternoon and she should have it tomorrow - if all looks good, then I will get busy and make her another one with this adorable fabric!
I'm not real sure if I like the ribbon tho, so I will be digging thru 
my ribbon collection for some other choices.
Another look at the hospital gown!
So what do you think? Should this be a new ePattern?

*     *     *     *     *
Speaking of ePatterns, please don't miss out on my giveaway of my newest ePattern Jack 'n Jill!
Also I am in an Un-bee-lievable contest, so hop on over to Brer Rabbit's Blog, read here and leave me a comment!

13 comments:

Angie said...

It is working now!! I love the gown!! Hope you decide to do an epattern!!

Shelley said...

I think this is wonderful! I would definitely buy this e-pattern. Actually as I was reading your post, I was hoping you already had one!
I would love to make this as a gift for my dear preggo friends and perhaps myself one day. It would have been really nice to have this 3 years ago during my daughter's birth!!!
Thanks for sharing :)

Sewing Chik said...

You should definitely do this as an epattern! You can't find information/patterns out there for making a hospital gown. I wanted to make one for a friend having a baby. Thought I'd found a good pattern (the only one I found after hours of searching) and it turned out horrible. I LOVE the empire waist and would like to make one for when my baby is due this fall!! You did an amazing job!

Elisabeth Rose said...

I love this! Your daughter is lucky to have you sewing for her. I think an epattern would be great. Without the snaps, it would make a nice nursing gown for anytime. You must be getting excited about your daughter's baby! My littlest one is 11 weeks and they are just so much fun!

Virginia said...

I think this would be a great e-pattern. I might even make one for the niece who is expecting.

Kelly said...

That is so neat! I wish I had a gown like that when I was in the hospital. That would be a great epattern.

Auntie Pam said...

2nd try -
Well you have done it again !!!!!!!!!!!!! Super great !! I want one without all the snaps, just to lounge around home in for me out of cool seersucker. But it would be a great gift for a new mom. YES on the e-pattern. My niece is due in Nov in Reno with #2-a boy, and other niece due in San Diego with #2 in Feb. Reno one could be out of soft flannel.
Could it have an option long sleeve version that snaps down the top of the sleeve all the way?
May have to wip a couple up, Reno niece's birthday is the end of Sep. Will have to hurry. Love It ! Good job !

Sandy said...

Oh please make this an e-pattern! My daughter wants a really big family and is having number 3 next march.I have been wanting to do something like this for her first two but couldn't find a pattern. I LOVE this one. You are very talented!

Ginny said...

Oh, yes, this would make a great e-pattern. I know of one other pattern for a hospital gown - it happens to be free - but I suspect yours is more versatile. I'm not even sure someone would have to be pregnant to want to use it!

Beedeebabee said...

Oh gosh, I wish I could sew like you! Your daughter will love this pretty gown...you've thought of everything. I love those snaps up the back, that's a really great feature! The fabric is so sweet, and so is the fabric you've chosen for her second gown, and I love that ribbon also! Such talent, to be able to design and then sew like you do!!! Yes, you certainly should make this into an epattern!
Thanks so much for your sweet visit, and kind words! xo Paulette

Sewconsult said...

this is a great design. I hope you do market the pattern. It will be a great seller, not just for L&D. When I had my knee replacement 3 yrs ago, I knew that I would be in the hospital for at least 4 days. I bought new pretty gowns. They were never out of my tote. I had to wear hospital gowns for the different monitors, etc. One option for a general purpose gown would be to add a pocket on the front bodice section for a heart monitor.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

Sew Shine said...

I think this gown is great! Wish I would have had something so nice when I had my children. It looks so cute with the empire waist and the ability to gather the waist as much/little as needed is awesome! My favorite is the snaps down the back...a birthing mom should at least be able to keep a TINY bit of dignity!

Rebekah

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

Laurie,

What a great pattern, definitely please offer it as an epattern. I love it and wish I had something like it when I had my babies.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails