Wednesday, August 25, 2010

{new lesson series}

I am very excited to tell you about a blog lesson series that I am beginning - "Smocking a Bishop". My goal is to take it slow and answer any questions you might have as we work along. It would be great if you could work along with me at home. I will try to make videos as much as it is possible for me to do, or when I think that it might be more beneficial to you to actually see me doing a particular technique. I know that many of you have enjoyed my video tutorials on smocking and have written to me about them being so helpful to you.
Why am I doing this? Well, I know that there are many who are SAHM (Stay At Home Moms) and others for various reasons are not able to take a class at a local shop. For others, there might not even be a local shop where you can take a class, so this series is especially for you! I hope that you find it very beneficial and that it encourages you to continue in the art of smocking. I invite you to share my blog on forums and with your friends who also would like to follow along in this new series - the more, the merrier! I am in no way an expert at smocking or in teaching for that matter! I just simply want to share my own tips and tricks and hope that it helps to pass along the art of beautiful hand smocking!
Lace Booties from Brer Rabbit Designs

6 comments:

craftmom said...

Thank you so much for doing this, I live in the northeast and when I ask if they teach smocking people don't even know what I am talking about. I have tried teaching myself from books, but am a much more visual learner, so a big THANK you!

Kelly said...

Yae! Thank you so much! I've made 3 bishops total and I still have a lot to learn. I'm planning on sewing two bishops for Christmas out of featherwale corduroy. I can't wait for your tutorial! Thanks again!

Julia said...

What a wonderful idea! Thanks. I'll be making a Christening gown soon and I'm not sure if the mom wants a Bishop, but if she does this would be great. I've made several, but I'm sure I have a lot to learn!

Sara said...

this is a wonderful idea!!!

LMP said...

I was wondering when you plan for your online lessons to begin. I love to smock and have been smocking ready-to-smock dresses because I don't know how to sew. My intro sewing class is Sept 25 (WOO HOO!!). I will have to do some easier sewing right after my class before I tackle a bishop, but I can't wait. I'll catch up with you guys one day!!

weinan said...

I am learning by watching your smocking tutorials. I live in Europe and have not seen any evidence of hand smocking interest here in Vienna. Thanks so much for making it so clear! I love practicing and hope one day to actually sew a dress for our new granddaughter. A question however...should I use floss or pearl cotton...I haven't been able to find DMC pearl cotton 8, only #5. Anchor sells $8 and i can see the difference in thickness. Can you advise on what is best to use? Also, when practicing what is a good fabric to work on? I found Batiste here but it costs 20 euro a meter(around 25$ a yard) that seems high for just practice material. Any suggestions? You work is so beautiful and so inspiring, I am going to give it my all! Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails