Tuesday, August 31, 2010

{Smocked Bishop - Lesson 1}

If you missed the introduction to Smocking a Bishop, please click hereI spent a good portion of my Monday working on Lesson 1 of my Smocked Bishop video tutorial. If anything confuses you, please e-mail me or leave a comment so that I can address whatever you might be confused about. I know I misspoke myself several times - a few times I did correct myself. It's funny how you can say things you don't even realize you are saying until it played back to you. I guess that is a lesson in itself to listen and pay attention to what I am saying! One place that I didn't correct myself very well, was in the very first video and the first tip that I demonstrated. This tip in in reference to the pattern pieces - I kept referring to the cutting lines as "fold lines" - please be aware that what I meant was that the bishop front is on a fold line, therefore my "cutting line" was the "fold line" - also when I say I am "folding up on the fold line", I mean that I am "folding up on the actual cutting line" - I know reading this sounds confusing, but when you see the video you will know what I am referring to. 
The video ended up being quite a bit longer than I anticipated, so I split Lesson 1 into three videos, so that the download time won't take so long. Splitting the videos took up most of my evening last nite, but I am pretty pleased with how they turned out - I hope you are too! Be sure you turn off the blog music before you start the videos - just scroll to the bottom of the page where the player is and click on the "II" button to turn it off - otherwise you won't be able to hear the video.
Note: If you have trouble hearing the videos and your volume is turned all the way up, then you might want to plug in a set of earbuds or a headset and then you should be able to hear the videos without any trouble. I will try to correct that issue on Lesson 2.

Smocked Bishop - Lesson 1 - Part 1

Smocked Bishop - Lesson 1 - Part 2

Smocked Bishop - Lesson 1 - Part 3
~     ~     ~     ~     ~
I hope you enjoyed Lesson 1 of the Smocked Bishop Dress from start to finish! Please leave me your comments - would love to hear how you liked Lesson 1.  I would also like to know how I can improve upon them. I will leave Lesson 1 up for several days, then will post Lesson 2 later this week - that will give time to those who are not daily blog readers to have time to watch lesson 1 and ask any questions they might have.
Please pass this video blog series on to those who you think would benefit from the lessons!




29 comments:

Paula said...

Thank you for the video series! I love it! My only (minor) complaint is that I can barely hear you and I have my computer and your video turned up as loud as they go. I have a new computer and the volume doesn't seem to go as high as my older one. Is there anyway to increase the volume from your end,just a little? I can't wait for part 2!! Thank you for all the teaching you do. It's helped me sew much!

Grace said...

Great video, Laurie...my only complaint mirrors what Paula said....I have my speakers and your video up as loud as they go and I am still struggling to hear you well. Thanks for taking the time to do this video tutorial!!! You are great!

Grace said...

Oh...by the way, it is Teresa Baker...it shows up as Grace...

Esther Grant said...

Outstanding instructions and tips Laurie. The volume was perfectly fine once I clicked on my computer's speaker icon in my toolbar and increased the volume there. Thanks for inviting us into your sewing room. :)

Julia said...

Agreed, I couldn't hear you either. I did learn from watching you though.

Nancy H said...

How do I turn off the song so I can hear the video?

Pam Marshall said...

Loved the video. Waiting on the next one.
Volume was good when I clicked on the volume button connect to your video.
You can also go to youtube and watch it there. If the volume is to low.

Thanks you so much.

Paula said...

Thank you for putting this up on you blog. I have been sewing and smocking for years when my girls were little and now that I have a grand daughter I am getting back into it. But the memory isn't what it used to be. Ha!

LMP said...

These videos are great! Thanks a lot for taking your time to do this!!

Victorian Smockers said...

The videos are wonderful and the audio was not an problem for me, I just adjusted the speaker key on my keyboard. You did an such an amazing job that it really felt like I was in your sewing room as you gave the lesson.
I can hardly wait for the second part.

Jan said...

Laurie,
Thanks so much for the videos. I'm going to share the link with my smock chat group (Learning to Smock). There are lots of girls new to smocking in this group who will really appreciate them. I've smocked for 7 yrs, but am always up for tips and tricks. Just waiting to get my pattern in the mail. Thanks again.

Jan said...

Laurie,
Thanks so much for the videos. I'm going to share the link with my smock chat group (Learning to Smock). There are lots of girls new to smocking in this group who will really appreciate them. I've smocked for 7 yrs, but am always up for tips and tricks. Just waiting to get my pattern in the mail. Thanks again.

sunflwr1 said...

Being new to smocking I've enjoyed all your other videos on YouTube. Now a bishop! This is just wonderful...thank you so much, Laurie! Look forward to all the others! ~Marcia

sharon said...

Laurie
These videos are great .
Thanks
Sharon

Jerome said...

Your videos are a great help Laurie. Being new to smocking it is extreemely helpful to see the construction from the beginning. Thank you so much for helping those of us that are new to heirloom sewing. After turning off the sound, I could hear you clearly.

Thank you

Sew Shine said...

AWESOME! Thanks so much for the great tutorial! I picked up some nice pointers even for daily garment sewing. Love your technique for multi-sized patterns! Maybe I need to ask for a pleater instead of a blind hemmer for Christmas! LOL!

Laurie said...

Wonderful information! Can't wait to see you do the pleating part.

Thanks!

Laurie

Marlena said...

Thanks for the video. I especially liked your tip on making the most out of the fabric for the sleeve. That was great. Thanks.

Sue said...

This is so helpful but why do you also pleat the sleeves when they will be done again when you go all the way around?
Sue

Laurie said...

Sue - the sleeves are pleated at the neck edge and the lower sleeve edge, so they have to run thru the pleater twice. First you pleat the lower edge of the sleeve, then when you run the entire dress thru the pleater as it pleats up the neck edge of the sleeves.

Kelly said...

Have you ever used this pattern with featherwale corduroy? If so, what tips do you have? Should I take some out of the center? Love your videos. Thanks so much for doing this!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this video series. I am a beginner smocker but haven't sewed since my girls were small and now they have children! I had forgotten so much that I have been struggling with the construction of the dresses. I've even resorted to buying the pre-constructed outfits so I could just smock. This video series is exactly what I needed.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your tutorial. I was just browsing around and cam upon your blog. I really enjoyed your tutorial. I am looking forward to the next one. Maybe I will sign myself up at the sewing store to make a smocked bishop after all.

jbsatty said...

Thanks for leaving this blog up. As you can see I'm just getting around to viewing it. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for sharing.

Spiritual thinking said...

Thanks, I will bookmark this page and use it... really very help full blog... keep on posting stuff like this.

Laws of attractions

Peggy Cook said...

I was thrilled to find this blog. I used the first part today cutting out my very first bishop and it was so helpful! I am a grandma grandchildren, 5, 4, and 2. I am just starting and learning smocking and cannot tell you how much I am enjoying the help! Thank you again
Peggy

Cindy Russell said...

Thank you for your help! I used to smock 25 years ago and have forgotten so much. I am trying to make a smoked bishop with the angel sleeves. After cutting out patter, I made french seams on the shoulder seams and rolled the sleeve edges. When I was pleating the dress, the side seams were too close and I included them in the pleating. I had to cut 1-11/2 inches off to get it out of the pleater. How do you pleat the bishop with angel sleeves. I appreciate your help!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for leaving these posts up. I have searched the internet for smocking info and find these tutorials great!

Judy Howell said...

Thank you Laurie for providing this wonderful opportunity to learn about smocking. I recently retired and have always wanted to try this. You instructions are perfect. Just what I was looking for. I intend to refer back to them often. You do beautiful work. Thanks again for sharing.

Judy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails