Thursday, September 2, 2010

{Smocked Bishop - Lesson 2}

Welcome to Lesson 2 of my video-blog tutorial on a Smocked Bishop dress from start to finish! If you missed the introduction to Smocking a Bishop, please click here. If you missed Lesson 1, then please click here
Please read this before watching the videos: To turn off the music on the blog you will need to scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the player - click on the large button to turn off the music. 
I have tried to correct the sound issue from Lesson 1 and turned up the volume to 200% for Lesson 2 - this still might cause some of you issues with the volume - if that is the case, please try plugging in earbuds or a headset to listen to the videos - that should correct the sound for you. I am hoping that with Lesson 3, I will have this sound issue resolved - they say 3rd time is the charmer, so we shall see! :)
In my video tutorial, I mention a blocking guide that I would make available to you. If you are a collector of Sew Beautiful Magazines, like I am, then you might have this issue on hand.
Sew Beautiful Magazine - Summer 1990
On page 36 of this issue is an excellent article by Lisa Feor, called "Guide to Blocking The Perfect Smocked Collar or Bishop Dress". At the time of the article, Lisa was a member of the Smocking Arts Guild of America (SAGA) and was teaching smocking in the Webster, New York area. I have not been able to locate her, and since this particular issue is out of print, I have made a pdf copy for you of her article and the blocking guide. You can download the blocking guide here. It is well worth printing off and reading and keeping in your sewing notebooks! 
I hope you enjoy Lesson 2 - keep those comments coming! Lesson 3 will follow next week, as we begin smocking the bishop dress! I am thinking about drafting a smocking plate for this lesson - not quite sure yet, tho, so stay tuned to my blog! :)














13 comments:

Julia said...

I could hear every word. Thank you for working on the volume. I have always had trouble putting my fabric on my dowel. I think that maybe I have tried to hard to get it EXACTLY straight and tight! I also probably need a shorter dowel. I also need a blocking board. I've always just winged it when blocking mine. Not a good idea. I'm anxious to see your designs that you are going to use on these dresses. I've never followed a design pattern. I just make mine up as I go. So far, I've been happy with them, but would love to see what you do.

Jerome said...

These videos are absolutely excellent! I am definitely getting the courage to work along side with you as I am new to smocking. I do have a question; Would you share some of your fabric sources, Do you work with cotton poly blends to minimize wrinkles or do you work exclusively with 100% cottons. Also, would you share the size of the lace you selected for the sleeves, the type of lace you picked and your source. Thank you again for this series!

Marie

Aunt Honey said...

Excellent series. I've probably smocked 100+ bishops, but it's so interesting to see how others do it. I've never rolled my fabric on the dowel holding it, but always lay it out (usually on the ironing board) and roll it on. I've used the smocking board and not used it to round out my neck, but I've never starched my pleats. I'll definitely try that next time. I know several folks just learning to smock, and this will be so helpful for them. Thank you for taking the time to do this. It's also great for so many of us who are mostly self-taught, to see the proper way to make a bishop!

sunflwr1 said...

I am very new to smocking and these lessons are absolutely wonderful, Laurie! I'm enjoying each one and find them so helpful! Right now I'm still practicing with my pleater, but may soon have the courage to try a Bishop...

Thanks so much,
Marcia

Auntie Pam said...

FABULOUS Job as always. Great way to learn/improve my smocking to look as perfect as yours.

Southern Gal said...

Oh, I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog this morning. I have smocked before, but have never pleated my own fabric. A friend let me borrow her pleater and I was so scared to even try it. Thank you for this tutorial. I have the same Children's Corner pattern and plan on making my first bishop for my two-month-old granddaughter for Christmas. This is perfect! I'm your newest follower. Can't wait to carve out the time to sit and watch.

Theresa said...

Hi Laurie,
These video are excellent. I have smocked many things over the years but refresher course always helps. I was hoping you would touch upon the problem I have with pleating bishops, but it must just be something that I am doing wrong. If pleating a larger size such as 3 or 4, once rolled, the roll is too thick to fit inside the "hole" of the pleater. I use the same size rod that you do, so what could possibly be different? Thanks so much for any insite. And again, I am really enjoying these wonderful videos!
Theresa

mrslaurahill said...

Hi Laurie! Thanks so much for doing this! I don't use a blocking guide.. I smock a bishop completely straight and then pull up the top gather threads to size when I am done and so far that has not been a problem for me.. I am wondering what you think about that method and if there is going to be a problem down the line that I just have not encountered yet by doing it that way. Thanks!!

Laurie said...

Laura,
In Lesson 2, and I believe part 4, i explain why I don't ever straight smock a bishop dress.

Lisa Feor said...

Lisa Feor here.... I am still a member of SAGA and still live in Webster NY. Martha Pullen herself told me you were looking for me. I am very glad to see that there are still smockers out there who use that Bishop Guide. Even though I have made 50+ bishop dresses, I still block every one.

Laurie said...

Thank you Lisa for coming to my blog and posting and thank you VERY much for your blocking guide. I'm glad that I remembered it and looked it up in my back issues of Sew Beautiful Magazine. I hope that many others find it beneficial. I ALWAYS block a bishop too!

designdreamer said...

Hi Laurie,
I haven't read the entire blog post yet, I just had to pipe up and say that not only do I own it, but my oldest dd is IN that issue of SB!!!!
I was fairly new to smocking at the time, and didn't really know what I was doing, but Martha had asked our Guild to come up with garments that evoked the Southwest. I did the dk turquoise (bishop) crop top with the matching skirt. I added some feathers, bronze conches, and leather lacing. DD is standing next a native American, with a very scared look on her face. She was only about 2 at the time, and was scared, as were many of the other young models. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Anonymous said...

What options are there if you do not own a pleater. I'm just starting, and I don't know how much of an investment I'm willing to make.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails