Wednesday, December 22, 2010

{"Smilting" for Christmas!}

I've been working on a Christmas project for a couple weeks that I am pleased to say I finished this afternoon! You know what happens when you combine smocking and quilting? You get "Smilting"! Sounds a little like Dr. Suess, doesn't it? LOL!
The whole "smilted" stocking is my own pattern, from the smocking to the quilting! The stocking is lined on the inside with muslin. If I would have had more time, I might have considered putting some warm and natural batting between the layers and doing some hand or machine quilting. Time just didn't allow for me to do that this year, but next time (more like next year) I make this stocking I think I just might try it! Here's a closer look at my "smilted stocking".
The smocking design is also my own graphed design 
that I named "Evergreen and Holly"
Silk satin ribbon adorns the upper left of the stocking. I folded the ribbon in half and ran a basting stitch for several inches, then scrunched the ribbon and hand-stitched it to the stocking opening and added a little pink ribbon rosette.
I was thinking about doing a giveaway on my blog, but I decided that I would give ALL my followers a special Christmas Gift, instead! From now until midnight Christmas night, you can download my smocking plate "Evergreen and Holly" for free - it's my little Christmas gift to you! Starting on the 26th, it will be available at Brer Rabbit Designs for purchase, so make sure you get it downloaded before then if you want it. By the way, did you know that Brer Rabbit Designs has other smocking plates available? Make sure you visit and check them out - more are being created and added too! Here's a another look at my smocking plate, "Evergreen and Holly". You can download it HERE! To access the file you must type in the following encrypted password - "BRDesigns" - this is to protect my designs from being shared. 
I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

9 comments:

Sue said...

Laurie, that is a gorgeous stocking! You do such lovely, lovely work!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

Jo said...

Thank-you! And Merry Christmas!

Esther Grant said...

You're amazing Laurie! Beautiful combination of smocking and quilting and I love the colors too. Thanks so much for sharing and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Laurie, would you mind explaining how much fabric you used in your smocking ruffle above your stocking? The stocking is absolutely striking and I would love to make one. What were the dimensions of the fabric used and did you pleat up a particular number of pleats? Your creation in magnificent.

Thank you
Marie

Sara said...

LOVE the "smilted" stocking!!!! Thank you for the smocking plate!!!

Sandra Henderson said...

Very beautiful! I'm so happy that Sue sent me over and vie found your lovely blog....
Merry Chritmas!

Jan said...

I hope you know what a wonderfully creative person you are. Thank you for the smock plate. I'm already planning something with it.

Miriam said...

Beautiful work, Laurie!

Merry Christmas!

Laurie said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful idea and work!

Would you be willing to elaborate a bit more on how you created the ribbon bow? How long and wide was the ribbon before you stated? Were the gathering stitches down the middle?

Merry Christmas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails