Sunday, December 5, 2010

{the Spirit of Christmas Past}

Each year as we start to prepare for the upcoming Christmas Season, it always stirs up memories from Christmas Past. We all have Christmas memories and traditions. Christmas is a time for family, a time for love, a time for happiness and great memories. Christmas memories of the past show a simpler (and more joyous) time, when Christmas meant so much more than who was getting what and how much it cost. Some of the best memories and traditions I remember from my childhood are from simple things that were handmade, like handmade Christmas ornaments, paper chains, and stringing popcorn and cranberries for our tree. We also always had a fresh-cut Christmas Tree - I will never forget the fragrant smell of pine in our home in the month of December! 
This is me in a Christmas Past!
As I grew up, got married and had children, we created our own Christmas Traditions from simple to fancy. I am now having fun creating many of those old traditions with my grandchildren, which you can read about here
One of my own Christmas Traditions was creating handmade garments for my children. I remember so many years of planning out what I was going to make and often times staying up late to complete garments just in time for a church Christmas program! Below are a few of the handmade Christmas Garments I made for my children from many a Christmas Past. You can click on any of my pictures to see a larger image.
Smocked pinafore and Smocked short-alls
Smocked bishop collar on black velvet dress
This smocked bishop collar got several years of
use with other Christmas dresses!
A closer look at the smocked collar
Smocked on Red Silk Moire with
a shadow work lace insertion collar
Close up of collar
Close up of smocking
The red dress stirs soooo many memories of a Christmas past. It was our first Christmas living in Tennessee (1993). We were temporarily living in a tiny duplex and in the midst of moving into our newly built house, which we moved into two days after Christmas - truly a Christmas to remember! All of my sewing had to be done at the kitchen table in that tiny duplex kitchen where there was barely enough room for the kitchen table, let alone my sewing supplies, most of which was packed away in boxes! I was determined to carry on my tradition as my daughter was nearing the pre-teen age where she would sadly outgrow smocked dresses. 
The spirit of Christmas Past lives on when you make something handmade that you and your loved ones can cherish forever! 



Now it's your turn to share the Spirit of Christmas Past on my Monday Memories Linky Party! Let's have some fun sharing Christmas Memories from the past and blog hopping!


Here’s how it works:
1. Scroll down to the bottom of this post until you see the “add your link” button. Click that, and create a descriptive name for your link. This will make it easier for folks to browse through all the links.
2. Make sure to link to your specific Monday Memories post, not the main page of your blog.
3. Make sure your blog post includes something handmade from a Christmas Past.
And I created a fun, little badge especially for the party, so feel free to post the code in the box below at the bottom of your Handmade Monday Memories post on your blog if you’d like…

And now it's your turn! The best part is there are no crowds to deal with, no pushing and there is room for everyone!

12 comments:

Rettabug said...

Oh Laurie, these are just wonderful photos from the past!! I loved seeing YOU in your pretty RED dress & your children looked so sweet in that Christmas portrait, too.
You do such beautiful work, Honey! I thank you for all the help & inspiration you've given me over the years.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Elisabeth Rose said...

Hi Laurie,
I love your post! I just linked up my memory- it was hard to choose just one! Planning to join you for the next 3 weeks! Thanks for hosting this party.

Goosegirl said...

How Fun Laurie! I linked my silly, disjointed post. I have "moving brain" and it shows. I have not even started sewing Christmas outfits for this year. Now I am inspired!! Thank you!!

CAS said...

Just discovered your lovely blog & became a new follower. You have some beautiful items. I love to look, but I don't do that kind of sewing much any more. I enjoy making quilts & quilted wallhangings. I'm excited to follow along and see your sewing talents.
CAS

Sara said...

thanks for hosting Laurie!! I can't wait to see all the Christmas creations!!

Smocking with Gwen said...

Laurie,
Love the photos from the past! So many wonderful memories....thanks for sharing these!

Need to be decorating my house...haven't been home and I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed.

(((Hugs)))
Gwen

Ellie Inspired said...

Laurie, this is so fun! I've been visiting everyone's blogs and getting lots of good ideas. I posted mine a little while ago. I included a simple pattern and a funny poem. I'm hoping I can join you for the next three weeks too!
Laura

Morgane @ Bear,Dolly and Moi said...

Great idea! Your work is beautiful.
I have linked some old oranements I made when my son was a baby.
I was unable to put your link on my blog.
thanks for the opportunity.

Sew Shine said...

Oh how much fun I've had with this post! Thank you for hosting such a great party! Your creations are just adorable and are SEW inspiring! I love reading your blog!

Merry Christmas!
Rebekah

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Laurie...the smocking is just gorgeous! And that's hard to do. I took a class once and I thinked I smocked two things. Very impressive! Your children are precious in their smocked outfits!

ShirleyC said...

I can't compete with you ladies, but I have linked up. It's fun to see everyone's pictures. I wish I had some from my Christmases, but my family never took many pictures.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Oh! What a wonderful post! And I love the photos and the memories that go with them. The first photo of you looks like it was taken from a story or magazine advertisement. I really was hoping to join in, but have not completed my post! (How long will you have your party link open until?)

I am getting ready for work, but wanted to come by before I did.

Blessings & Aloha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails