Thursday, January 20, 2011

{the lone star}

This Lone Star Quilt hangs in the front foyer of our home. This is another one of my vintage quilts that was made by a family member from a past generation. 

Other names for this quilt include Star of Bethlehem, Morning Star and Lone Star. Lone Star Quilts are made with a magnificent mosaic of little diamonds radiating out from the center of the star. 
This particular Lone Star Quilt is interesting as it has 
added radiating points off from each of the main points. 
The making of this quilt was not for the faint of heart. Long hours of cutting, deciding on placement of each diamond and piecing was required. Careful, accurate work had to be done to make sure the stitching was accurate to get all the points to line up correctly.
 I just can't even imagine the hours that were spent 
hand quilting this gorgeous piece of art!

5 comments:

ShirleyC said...

My mom made several of those in her better quilting days when she could see. We used to have one too, but wore it out from use.
She made each of the grandkids a quilt before she lost her eyesight.

Emily said...

Laurie, I have really enjoyed reading your blog. Thank you so much for sharing the beautiful workmanship on this quilt. I just gasped when I saw it! I also forwarded the "red eye" post on to my mother. She has the family sewing table/base as you pictured below, minus the sewing machine. We really oooohhhhed and awwwed over your machine. And we hope to happen upon the missing machine that goes with Mom's table.

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

Your quilt is simply lovely. I made a small Lone Star hanging quilt but it's not nearly as nice. I'll have to try and find it.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Oh so beautiful! I love vintage quilts! And how special for you, especially since it was created by a family member.

Blessings & Aloha!
...stopping by to say hello! :o)

Bunny said...

Stunning quilt, Laurie! Thanks for sharing it with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails