Saturday, January 8, 2011

{quilts that warm the heart}

In my last journal entry, I shared a flea market find of a vintage quilt from my quilt collection.   My plan is to share on my blog at least one quilt per week on a random day. When I went upstairs to take pictures of all my quilts, I found my cat, Anabelle, curled up, cozy and warm on my stack of quilts - and she had no intention of moving!
This is just a sneak peek of some of the quilts that will be featured on my blog! I have several others that will also be featured. After I moved Anabelle off my quilts, I ended up taking over 50 pictures of my quilts the other day! I hope that my quilts will warm your heart during these cold winter days that are upon us for the next few months.

 "The Patchwork Quilt"
Of all the things a woman's hands have made, 
The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed-- 
The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm-- 
Is woven of her love and dreams and thread.

When I have spoken to you of its beauty, 
"A mere hodge-podge of calico," you said, 
"A necessity of homely fashioning, 
 Just a covering made of cloth and thread.

I knew you'd missed the message hidden there 
By hands that fashioned quilts so long ago. 
Ambition and assurance are the patches 
And the stitches of a quilt are love, I know.

I think a quilt is something very real-- 
A message of creation wrought in flame; 
With grief and laughter sewn into its patches 
I see beyond the shadows, dream and aim.

Carrie A. Hall 
Since Anabelle has found her a cozy and warm place to spend her cold winter days, I think I am going to have to fold a baby blanket up top of the quilts just for her. I love her, but I really don't want her to get my quilts dirty and full of cat hair. Maybe I should make a little quilt just for her to lay on!
Don't you just love my little spool wall-hanging? A very dear friend of mine made that for me many, many years ago! That little quilt has been used in many different ways thru the years, from table tops to walls - I just love it! I am not much of a quilter, but I can sure appreciate the work that goes into a quilt, no matter what it's size. Even tho I am not much of a quilter, I have made quite a few quilts in my lifetime, but I think every quilt I have ever made has been given away! I do have a few little quilts that have been under construction for several years - one of these days I will finish them!
Have you been to Southern Stitches lately? I have updated my tutorials page - actually there are now two tutorial pages! Page one has a picture for each tutorial and page two has all my video tutes! Are there any particular sewing techniques you would like to learn from a tutorial on my blog? If so, please leave a comment and I will start making a list and working on new tutes! 




6 comments:

Andy-Brown Bee Studio said...

Each of my kitties has her very own little quilt, but that doesn't keep them from claiming all others as well! lol ;)

Esther Grant said...

What a lucky cat, that Anabelle, and lucky for us you share with us your beautiful quilt collection on these cold winter days. The thing that amazes me about quilters of years gone by, they had a lot less to work with in fabric, color and design combinations, yet their quilts always turned out beautiful and eye-catching, not to mention the warmth and comfort they provided to so many.

Susan said...

Annabelle needs her own little quilt! There is nothing that says home more than a handmade quilt!

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

My cat has three of his own cat quilts and do you think he will sit on them? Noooooo. So I am constantly picking him up and putting him on the quilts, along with a sprinkling of catnip to pique his interest.

I am looking forward to seeing your quilts, I need to make one this year and can use some inspiration.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Your pretty kitty found the perfect spot :o) Lovely quilts, it will be fun to see photos of them all. I keep one of the baby quilts that I am handquilting with me...whenever I am in the car as passenger or at a dr's appt. (I determined to do this, since our trip to Hawaii...so that I will have them done before we actually start having grandbabies :o)

Blessings & Aloha!
...slowly catching up on some blog reading :o) & wanted to say hello!

Sue said...

Love your stack of quilts and what cat (or dog) wouldn't want to curl up on those!

I love the spool wall hanging too. Very sweet. Will be working on some spool blocks here in the next couple of weeks.

Have a blessed Lord's Day and thank you for sharing your wonderful quilts with us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails