Tuesday, January 4, 2011

{weathered & worn wednesday}

Welcome to "Weathered & Worn Wednesday" - my new weekly Linky Party for 2011! Today's weathered and worn piece is my flea market find vintage quilt. Those who know me, know that I have a passion for vintage children's wear, but what most people don't know about me is that I also have a love for vintage quilts. I not only have a love for them, but I have quite an extensive collection of vintage quilts. 
Vintage Quilt made from feed sacks
Collecting quilts sort of just happened to me. I have lost count of how many vintage quilts I have. What is very unique about my quilt collection is that all but this particular one was made by someone in my family! I know that's pretty amazing and I am a very lucky girl to have acquired a collection of quilts that have been handed down by several generations within the family. 
This little quilt was bought at the Nashville Flea Market, which is considered to be among the top ten flea markets in the country! 
Several things grabbed my eye when I saw this quilt, one being the unusual blocks that are formed within it. After close examination, it appears that this quilt is at least partially made with feed sacks. Feed sacks bring to mind poverty of the Great Depression but at the same time there is a romance to the idea that women could make something beautiful from something so mundane. 
The entire quilt, of course, is hand quilted and believe it or not, I bought this little beauty for $18.00! I have a hunch that in it's past it was most likely a much larger quilt and as the edges got worn, it was made into a smaller quilt.
Back of Flea Market Vintage Quilt
This quilt is definably weathered and worn, I just wish I knew the history behind it! I think that's what makes quilts so interesting is that each one carries it's own piece of history with it.
Quilts adorn many rooms of my house and this one is usually found draped on the railing at the top of the stairs. It sits near an antique trunk that belonged to my great grandmother.Those of you who are familiar with Sew Beautiful magazine, might recognize the framed lace gown that is hanging above the trunk. That beautiful lace dress is my grandmother's lace gown and was my inspiration for Lucy's Lace Legacy. You can read more about that here.
I love displaying quilts in my home - they give a home a warm and cozy feeling. This little nook in our home is not only warm and cozy, but it's rich with history!
I hope you enjoyed a little peek inside my home, and reading about my weathered and worn vintage quilt! I spent today taking pictures of all my vintage quilts and each and every one of them will be featured on my blog in future journal entries! I hope you enjoy reading about them as much as I enjoy sharing them with you!





Now it's your turn, please leave a link to something weathered and worn that you would like to share on "Weathered & Worn Wednesday"! My Linky Party guidelines are HERE!

3 comments:

Sue said...

Well, I certainly loved this post! Lovely quilt and what a great find! AND price!

I only have one vintage quilt and that is the Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt that my grandmother made back in the 30s. She hand-pieced and hand tied it. It's pretty worn out, but a treasure :)
I am working on my own GFG with 1930s reproduction fabrics. I want it to look like hers.

So does a human being count for your weathered & worn Wednesday? I know it's Tuesday, but I'm feeling a little weathered and worn lately :D

Blessings

Sew Shine said...

Laurie,

I really love this little quilt and if it could speak to us, I bet it has had an interesting life. Wonder if the woman who made it thought it would be hanging in someone's house all these many years later! I love seeing projects from the past...I think that is why I am drawn to the treadle machine so much. Just want to experience sewing the way they did it in the early days.

Thanks for the wonderful post!
Rebekah

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

I'm linked, but I still can't figure out how to copy the badge. Some day maybe. See my old blanket on my post, thanks, Laurie!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails