Sunday, March 13, 2011

Charity Sewing

Last week I presented a question to my facebook page, asking "What kind of charity sewing do you do?" I had several responses and enjoyed reading about the different types of charity sewing that is being done around the world. It can be very rewarding to use one's time and skills to help someone else. I recently wrote in my Sewing Journal about using your talents, and I just felt like revisiting it today. I also have a gift to share, so please keep reading.
Type "Charity Sewing" into a google search and you will come up with millions of hits. It can be a bit overwhelming, but at the same time quite heartwarming! Hospitals, Nursing Homes, Cancer Patients, Pregnancy Centers, Homeless Shelters, Domestic Abuse Shelters and even Pet Shelters can always use donations that can be sewn or crafted. Sewing items for the troops or veterans is a wonderful way to thank the people that protect us and it's "sew" very much appreciated. 
I have created a new tab up at the top of my blog entitled "Charity Sewing". You can find a large list of links to many organizations that offer free patterns for sewing for charities. I hope that you will find this to be a useful tool for searching for free patterns or to learn more about charity sewing.
As you all probably know, I am a chapter coordinator for my local Threads of Love. I am also a SAGA member-at-large, and enjoy using the Wee Care patterns that are offered. I also enjoy creating patterns and designs to share with those who do charity sewing for preemies. I recently created a smocked tapered bonnet in multi-sizes for preemies. I used my new pattern to teach my local Threads of Love chapter members how to smock. It was such a success that I decided to share my pattern. The pattern to this little bonnet is my gift to those who give the gift of using their sewing skills for charity. 
Click HERE for free pattern
Giving the gift of your sewing can brighten hearts everywhere, and teaching those who are willing to learn can brighten hearts that you may never reach. Giving the gift of skill can only increase the circle of charity. If you teach them to sew and they sew for charity, then you have just given the charity world another hand to help and that is the best gift of all.








Psst! There is a giveaway going on at Brer Rabbit's Blog - please pass the word!

5 comments:

Esther Grant said...

Sewing for charity is infectious and brings out the best in all who love to do it. Thanks so much for inspiring us with your many talents and teaching us to pass that inspiration on to others.

Robin Hart said...

I do love that bonnet and might link to it for SAGA. I am so used to doing bonnets assembly line fashion that I doubt I could do that and do them as fast. I usually end up doing about 100 and all in about a week. I make them ready to smock for convention.

Robin Hart said...

I do love that bonnet and might link to it for SAGA. I am so used to doing bonnets assembly line fashion that I doubt I could do that and do them as fast. I usually end up doing about 100 and all in about a week. I make them ready to smock for convention.

Online Charity said...

It’s really great to do online charity and be a part of a social cause! It takes a lot of efforts and patience to raise money for various social causes. Charity sewing is a great method to use sewing skills to help others in need.

Dawn said...

Thank you for the pattern.
I downloaded it earlier this week.
Found my stash of white batiste today. Planning to pleat some and then smock!
I have a friend who works in the NICU where I plan to give my items.
I want to do some bishop burial gowns as well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails