Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sew Cute Couture

It's not very often I get the chance to attend a sewing workshop, and often times the workshops I would love to take, just pass me by for one reason or another. This week, I am one lucky girl, because I get to attend a sewing workshop with Gail Doane! The Sew Many Things SAGA(Smocking Arts Guild of America) chapter in a neighboring town is hosting the 3-day workshop and I am pretty excited about it! Gail creates some of the most charming details I have ever seen when creating children's garments.
Mostly self-taught, Gail is detail oriented, but prepared to 'break the rules'. She is a self-described heirloom sewing addict and her work has appeared in many publications, including Australian Smocking & Embroidery, Inspirations and Martha Pullen's Sew Beautiful Magazine.
One of the most treasured books in my sewing library is "Sew Cute Couture", by Gail Doane.
All I have to do is flip thru the pages of 
this book and I am instantly inspired!
*     *     *     *
Thursday's workshop includes 
'Beautiful Bias & Cast-on Roses, Posies and Bows. 
Bias can be your best friend or your worst enemy in the construction of smocked and heirloom sewn garments. Gail is going to teach us how to cut and apply a French bias binding to straight and curved edges. We will also learn a unique approach for finishing off the ends of the binding prior to attaching it to a bishop neckline. 
We will be using a 'Fasturn' to make our bias tubes.
I have never used one of these tools before, 
so I am anxious to try it out!
We will also learn how to make the cast-on stitch and then expand it's use into a spiral rose, four petal posies and a bow!
Isn't this beautiful?
On Friday and Saturday, we will be making "Sweet Baby Jane", an adorable Embroidered Hat, Ruffle Top and Capri Pants.
Isn't this just the sweetest thing?
You can be certain this little outfit will
be saved for a future grand-daughter! ;)
The focus of this 2-day class is surface embroidery. We will sample five different flowers and a butterfly. The embroidery stitches included in this project are outline stitch, cast-on stitch, double cast-on stitch and blanket stitch. The flowers are centered with 'Teeny Weeny' hand dyed buttons. 
I look forward to sharing with you next week all about this sure-to-be-fantastic workshop and showing you my projects! Meanwhile feel free to drool over the eye-candy in this journal entry!
Don't forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter!


Email Marketing You Can Trust


7 comments:

Bolo heads said...

I am so jealous, I mean really, really jealous. I wish I could be there. Gail is me favorite, I dream of one day being as good as her. Have fun and come back with all the details.

Jan said...

You lucky dog you! I'm very envious of you getting to take a class with Gail and yes do share with us! Have a great time!

Esther Grant said...

Anticipaaaa--aation! Can't wait for your return and inspirational reports. Wish I were there with you, but, in the mean time, have a wonderful time!

Bunny said...

Hi, Laurie! Wish I could go with you. You will love your Fasturn. I would be lost without mine. It makes turning tubes so easy. God bless the brilliant engineer that thought this one up. I remember reading it was the husband who saw his wife struggling with turning a tube.

Saint Nolt Sews said...

I have gone to a Gail Doane class before. Be ready to learn a ton! She is great!

Martha said...

You will love Gail's classes. I never have had a bad one. I learn something new each time.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Oh! so very, very exciting! I had to get to this post and will work my way forward to read more about your fun adventure at this workshop!

Were all those attending it, as experienced as you? or were there those attending that were at various skill levels? How fun would that have been to go!!!

Such a sweet outfit! (How exciting too when you do have a future granddaughter as a part of your family ;o)

Blessings & Aloha!

Blessings & Aloha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails