Tuesday, March 8, 2011

smocking in miniature

Last Saturday was my local Threads of Love Chapter's monthly meeting. Since I am the coordinator of our group, I have to get to come up with project ideas. I had several ladies request to learn smocking, so I decided that a good and easy project would be hand-smocked preemie bonnets.
I decided to use my own smocked tapered bonnet pattern, but re-drafted the pattern to preemie sizes.
The bonnet pictured is on a tennis ball, but to get an even truer idea of how small this bonnet is, here's a picture of my bonnet before I added the flowerettes. The bobbin really shows you just how small this bonnet is.
I am so proud of how the ladies in my group were so eager to learn and how quickly they all caught on to smocking!
I pre-pleated a dozen bonnets and had 10 of them ready-to-smock. With the remaining two, I demonstrated how to pleat with a smocking pleater. None of the five ladies present for our meeting had ever smocked before!
Look how beautiful the stitches are coming 
together for this first-time smocker!
First smocked bonnet completed by 
another first-time smocker!
For those who are wondering, I am working on a multi-sized preemie smocked bonnet pattern. It will be a pdf pattern and it will be free. It will also include my original smocking design.
I hope to have it completed and posted soon. I hope that it will be used by other Threads of Love Chapters as well as in the Wee Care program of SAGA (Smocking Arts Guild of America).
If you would like to learn more about Threads of Love, please watch my video.


1 comment:

Dawn said...

I'd love the pattern for the T-o-L bonnets.
Looking forward to it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails