There is nothing like a sewing workshop where you can kick off your flip-flops and get down to some serious sewing!
|ummm, yes, those are my feet and|
it really does help to dig your toes into
the carpet when there is some serious
hand-embroidery going on!
If you ever get the chance to take a class with Gail Doane, I can't emphasize enough to do whatever it takes to be a part of it! She is an excellent teacher and makes a class fun to learn. We learned some amazing techniques and everything I learned I will use in other sewing projects, not just with our class project.
Day 1, we learned some cool techniques for making and applying beautiful bias binding.
Gail has a very unique technique of making and attaching binding and I would suggest that if you can't get to one of her classes, to purchase one of her books, which gives step-by-step, easy-to-understand instructions.
Speaking of instructions and organization - Gail had all our class supplies so well-organized! I have to admit, that I can be a really sloppy sewer, as far as my stuff is everywhere, so it's much appreciated when my supplies are all neatly organized in a nice kit!
Also on Day 1, we learned to make cast-on flowers. I have never done cast-ons before, or I guess I should say, I have never done them the correct way! With Gail's excellent step-by-step instructions and pictures, I was able to quickly learn how to make these beautiful & fun cast-on flowers using different types of floss to achieve different sizes flowers!
On Day 2, we spent the entire day learning the many different flowers, leaves and butterflies for our project "Sweet Baby Jane".
We used a circle template and a water soluble marker to draw all our flowers onto the pockets and hat of our project.
Once again, Gail gave excellent and easy to understand instructions, It was so helpful when she had us circle around her in groups as she showed us how to do each and every stitch for the many different types of flowers!
Our homework for that nite was to complete the hand embroidery for at least one pocket for "Sweet Baby Jane" and get our pattern parts cut out in the size desired. Being the over-achiever I tend to be, my personal goal was to finish the hand-embroidery on not one, but both my pockets and hat.....I found out that was much easier said, than done! I did manage to finish the embroidery on both of my pockets tho!
As you might imagine, these take an unbelievable amount of time to make, but ohhh-sooooo worth it! As with anything new - the more you practice, the easier it gets. I really love creating these fun little flowers!
In a few days I will share Day 3 with you along with "sew" much more! Hopefully by then I will have at least a portion of my "Sweet Baby Jane" completed to share too!
Please join my weekly newsletter and don't miss out on the special sale that my subscribers will be the first to know about on Tuesday morning!