Thursday, April 7, 2011

3 days of sewing bliss - part 2

I’m still floating on cloud nine from last week’s 3-days with Gail Doane! It’s hard to believe a whole week has flown by! In my spare time, which is few and far between, I have been working on finishing up on all the cast-on flowers of “Sweet Baby Jane”. 
I want to finish up on some highlights of the amazing 3-days of "sewing bliss", but I also really want to tell you about something very special that happened on Day 1 that I didn't tell in my last post! It's so special tho, that I think it warrants it very own blog post.  So, with that said, I am going to leave you in suspense and save it for another day! 
On Saturday, which was the last day of our workshop, Gail taught all the construction techniques that we needed to finish our "Sweet Baby Jane" garment. She showed us how to attach bias to really, really tight curves.






Here's how my pockets turned out!
Aren't they darling?





We then worked on attaching the ruffle with rick rack to the top of the arm opening.
Gail also taught us how to match up the rick rack in places you might not even think would be important. Matching up rick rack, even in the underarm area, really does make a difference!
We all watched intently as Gail showed us all the other techniques for finishing the garment, taking time to answer all our questions.  She made it so easy to understand and amazed us with techniques that left us wondering why we didn’t think of that ourselves!
She then let us loose to work on our projects! This was by-far, one of the very best all-round 3-day classes I have ever taken! I learned so much. I have to say that everything that I learned can be used in many other types of sewing projects that I might be working on. I even have gotten some ideas that I hope to apply to some future projects!
I had a wonderful time with a wonderful group of ladies who all share the common thread of a love for sewing. Many thanks to Gail Doane for being the fantastic designer and teacher that she is and making learning new techniques "sew" much fun. Also thanks to the Sew Many Things SAGA Chapter for organizing and hosting this fantastic 3-days of what I call “sewing bliss”!
Here is everyone that attended the 3-day workshop and that table full of goodies is the “something very special” that I am going to tell you about in my next post!
I will leave you tho with a picture of my 
finished embroidery on the hat brim! 
I can't hardly wait to spend some quality time in my sewing room and completely construct "Sweet Baby Jane"! That hopefully will be happening early next week and you can be rest assured that I will show the completed garment in my Sewing Journal soon!






3 comments:

Amanda said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Your embroidery is wonderful, I just don't have the patience or skill for it, but I appreciate those can do, fantastic work!

Claire Meldrum said...

Laurie - it looks like a fantastic 3 days and you're right, all of those techniques look like they'd be applicable on tons of projects. You did a great job on all those little details! Gail always comes up with such lovely ideas.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Your finished flowers for the hat, looks awesome :o)

Again...what a wonderful 3 days! I love the flowers and butterflies!
Can't wait to read about what happened on Day 1!

Blessings & Aloha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails