Monday, April 18, 2011

easy embellishments

This week is the Easter rush to get all the Easter finery completed for our little loved ones! I spent the entire day working on my Easter project. There were times today when I felt like I was ripping out more stitches that I was sewing in! 
I want to give you a sneak peek of what I have been working on to give you some ideas for easy embellishments!
I drafted a pattern for a jon-jon, but it's the collar that I want to focus on. I added the sweet scalloped lace edging to the collar and altho it look super cute just the way it is, I decided to 'boy-it-up' just a bit.
This is a close-up of the scalloped lace trim I used.
Using DMC Pearl Cotton #8, I began whip-stitching the 
Pearl Cotton thru the loops in the lace edging.
This creates the look of whipped piping
Here is the contrast between the scalloped
lace edging on the right and the whipped
edging on the left.
Since I was playing around with ideas, 
I decided to whip-stitch back on itself
and create an 'x' stitch
You can see how much bolder
this makes the edging!
Here's the contrast between the
two ways you could whip-stitch
the scalloped lace edging!
I totally love how this turned out!
In a couple days I will show you the completed garment!
I hope you enjoyed this quick little tutorial!


7 comments:

Sara said...

Love, love love it!!!!!

Kathy in KS said...

You drafted a pattern for a Jon Jon. Does this mean you will have a new pattern coming out or you just needed to make some alterations for this outfit? Love the double whipped collar embellishment!

Chere said...

I love this idea; it makes it so much easier to satisfy those who want a more "boy" look and those of us who love lace trims. So clever and so easy. Hugs, Chere

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

I love the details and how both look! It will be fun to see the full photo of it completed. I also love the piping trim on the sleeve. You have so many creative ideas and your grandsons are so blessed to have a "Neena" that is able to create these amazing heirloom clothing!

Blessings & Aloha!
(thank you also for stopping by!)

Rettabug said...

It really takes on a whole new look, Laurie, with that tiny splash of color. Very well done, Hon!

I popped in here just to see if you guys were okay after all the storms went through. You were on my mind!

Hugs,
Rett

Donna said...

Thanks for such a great idea! I loved the whip-stitched edging either single or double and will definitely have to try it.

Carol Thomison said...

This is a wonderful idea, I love it. Thanks for all your tutorials. They can be so very helpful as I am self taught myself. Even though I am a Martha Pullen licensed instructor, I always learn from you. Sincerely thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails