Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Pure Prettiness!

For the past several weeks, I have been working on a big project, and really the only way to describe it is just that it's Pure Prettiness!! Outside of designing things for Sew Beautiful Magazine, it's not very often that I get to sew pretties for girls, since I am a "neena" to two boys! It's been a sheer delight making a complete dress ensemble for my customer! She has picked the finest of fine for everything on this precious ensemble! If you follow me on facebook, then you have been able to keep up with how my project is coming along.

Pin-stitching the lace insertion





A few weeks ago I did a little lace insertion tute in my Sewing Journal, which was part of the project I am working on. One of the big questions I got from those who read my blog is "What is a pin-stitch?" and "How do you make a pin-stitch?" Since it's next to impossible sometimes to respond personally to a question within a comment on my blog, I decided that it was best to explain it here for those who are my faithful blog followers! Back in May of 2010, I did a tutorial in my Sewing Journal of applying lace and pin-stitching. It gives alot of detail that should be of benefit for you to look over. Most importantly, I think it will answer some of the questions you might have about pin-stitching.  One note that I will make tho, is that in that journal entry I used a particular stitch on my Bernina to do the pin-stitch - that is not the only stitch on my Bernina that is used for pin-stitching.  In the photo above, I used stitch #720 on my bernina to do the pin-stitch.
The project that I am working on has so many techniques. I really think that it incorporates just about all the heirloom sewing techniques that I like best!


Smocking!
Feather Stitching and Granitos!
Bullion Rosebuds!
More Bullion Rosebuds, Lace Insertion 
and Pin-stitching!
Precious Insertion Lace and 
Bullion Bud Puff Sleeves!
Pure Prettiness!!
I am totally in love with this little dress! I also have "sew" much more to share about this dress and the other pieces that are being created to go with it---------but that is for another day!

5 comments:

Susan said...

This is sew pretty! What beautiful work!

Jeannie B. said...

Hi Laurie, as soon as I saw the smocking, I knew what you were making!! What pretty work you do.

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

I love all these design elements too! The dress is absolutely lovely. But I see that you use a wing needle - I know that there is a fair amount of controversy about them, some people swear by them, others shudder at the sight!

Laurie said...

Cynthia, sometimes I use one and sometimes I don't - I guess I kinda sit on the fence with that one - sometimes I shudder, sometimes I don't! LOL!
Jeannie - this is the most ADORABLE dress ever!!! Thanks for creating this pattern!

Ellie Inspired said...

Beautiful Laurie!! You always do such wonderful and perfect work. I was wondering what kind of machine do you have? I can never get my pinstitching to look just right even with a wing needle.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails