Monday, July 18, 2011

the dress and bonnet

I love old-fashioned baby dresses! There is just something about the classic-styled baby dresses that always seem to totally melt me! I was commissioned to make this dress, along with the bonnet, slip and panties, several months ago. It was a BIG project, loaded with hand-embroidery, lace insertions and dripping with girly-ness! I loved every single minute of making it! Today I am sharing the dress and the bonnet! I hope you didn't miss the underpinnings, if so, please go back and check them out before proceeding!
the dress & bonnet
Pattern: "Emma" by The Old-fashioned Baby
Back of dress
Hand-smocking and Hand-embroidery on yoke!
Close up of embroidery
Hem of dress: Lace insertion and 
hand-embroidered bullion roses!
Sleeve: Lace insertion and
hand-embroidered bullion roses!
Dress back:  Button-down back 
with tucks at shoulders
The Bonnet: Hand-smocked with Lace insertion
Close up of Smocking, Lace & Ribbon
I can't wait to share pictures of the sweet baby that this dress was made for! Adorable pictures of her in the dress are coming up next in SewNso's Sewing Journal!


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this dress and bonnet

Susan said...

This is such a beautiful little dress and bonnet! I love heirloom sewing. Some day I hope to be good at sewing. But right now I am just a novice.

grammie37321 said...

Wow, that was a lot of work and it really paid off. Such a beautiful little ensemble! Good work.

grammie37321 said...

Wow, what a beautiful dress! That was a lot of work but you did it perfectly. Good job!

Sara said...

where is my spoon?? Because this looks good enough to eat! What a delightful confection this ensemble is! As always, your delicate handwork makes me swoon! such a masterpiece, Laurie!!

Sue said...

Wow! Laurie! Your work is so beautiful !!! That just takes my breath away. I can't wait to see the little one all decked out in this gorgeous set!!

Elsie said...

Laurie you did a beautiful job. I love the pattern and the way you inserted the lace. It is just beautiful. Thank you so much for
all the tudorials, I needed a refresher course. My grand twin
girls are 15 yr old now and I don't get to sew many small dresses anymore.

Unfurled said...

I don't often comment, but this dress and bonnet are stunning. I truly aspire to the work you do with your needle. Will you be at the SAGA convention in Anaheim this Fall?

Jan said...

I love dresses dripping with lace and smocking and embroidery. and it's even my favorite color. Sometimes everything just comes together and it's just so perfect.

Rettabug said...

Gasp!! Its just BEEEEEautiful, Laurie! Such precise attention to details & just dripping with lace & ribbons. Gorgeous work!

jason @ gold work embroidery said...

The baby must have looked so sweet in it - bet you're glad it was a girl.

Some delightful embroidery on it

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Oh! ...so so pretty from top to bottom :o) Loved it all, especially the lace insertion on the sleeves...and the hand-stitched shell hem slip too.

Blessings & Aloha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails