Thursday, October 13, 2011

31 days of sewing: garment bags made easy!

Custom-made garment bags are so quick and easy to make! My blue satin checked garment bag is the perfect companion for travel, as well as for storing those special occasion garments that you need to preserve. It's also a really great all-occasion garment bag, and it looks especially nice when you personalize it with a monogram!  
My garment bag was featured in the blue issue of 
Sew Beautiful magazine in 2008.
I have an updated ePattern with additional instructions
available HERE!
My original idea for this garment bag began when I needed a quick bag made up to store "Lucy's Lace Legacy"I used some featherweight winter-white corduroy in my original design.
I adorned the front of the garment bag with vintage buttons that belonged to my grandmother! This made it very special in keeping with the vintage theme! Instead of making buttonholes for the buttons, I just sewed some snap tape behind them, making it quick and easy to open and close the bag.
Another great idea for quick and easy garment bags is to use vintage pillowcases, as shown in this bag from Martha Stewart!
Isn't it darling?
The instructions are very easy! Just turn a pillowcase inside out; on the closed end, remove some of the stitches at the center to create a one-inch-wide hole. Tack with needle and thread on either side of the hole to reinforce the stitching and to keep it from opening further. Turn right side out, and slide a hanger thru the hole. That's all there is to it!

I hope you enjoyed today's feature - be sure to 
check out all the other 31'ers HERE!


Please continue to follow me here for

 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails