Friday, October 7, 2011

31 days of sewing: Lucy's Lace Legacy

Yesterday I started a mini-series on "Lucy's Lace Legacy" giving you the history behind the vintage dress. Here is a close up picture of my grandmother wearing the beautiful vintage lace dress that my mother found wrapped in blue tissue. 
My grandmother was a beautiful child and I am amazed every time I look at this picture, as I can see how she passed on her eyes and facial expression to several of the family thru the generations!
If you missed yesterday's introduction, please click here. Today I want to share a few details about the recreation of the dress. There is something about vintage garments, that intrigue me - especially vintage children's wear! Immediately when I see a vintage garment that I love, I start thinking about ways to recreate it. This is exactly what happened when I saw my grandmother's lace baby dress. 
Using vintage embroidery designs from the Martha Pullen Company, and the help of Martha's book, Grandmother's Hope Chest, I was able to recreate the dress to a very close copy of the original.

The little girl that modeled this dress is just precious! I was at the photo shoot and actually another child was scheduled to model the dress and at the last minute it just didn't work out. Jennifer from Jennifer and Company Photography, whom I might add, is an AMAZING photographer, scrambled to get another model. This little girl was precious beyond words and what made it even more all the special is that she has red hair. My grandmother always loved redheads and to have a little red haired girl model the recreated lace dress was just icing on the cake!

The dress took me about 30 hours to embroider and construct with added hours for measuring the original and drafting a pattern. The entire skirt of the dress is one panel that I had to re-hoop many times in my embroidery machine to create the embroidered panel of the skirt. The hardest part of the project was lining up the hoop perfectly each time so that the embroidery pattern would match up perfectly. I made templates and with the use of a light box, I was able to successfully match up each hooping to the previous stitched panel.
The article gives detailed instruction on the entire process from start to finish. I have created a PDF file of the article that you can download for free HERE, in case you don't have the issue.
Also included in the article is instruction on the preservation and display of an antique garment. I have my original dress displayed in a frame that hangs over an antique trunk that belonged to my great-grandmother. Make sure you read my article before you frame an antique garment.
I hope you have enjoyed learning a little more about "Lucy's Lace Legacy" these past two days! As always, if you have any questions, just shoot me an email, and your comments are always welcome too! 


I hope you enjoyed today's feature - be sure to check out all the other 31'ers HERE!
Please continue to follow me here for


1 comment:

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Oh sooo gorgeous! Your grandmother, her dress and your creation based on her dress. And what a perfect little model for your dress design too!

Blessings & Aloha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails