Friday, October 21, 2011

31 days of sewing: Murphy's Laws of Sewing


Earlier this week, I had one of "those days" in my sewing room. You know the kind of day where mistakes happen, not just once, but over and over again. I have to also mention that instead of frustrating me, it kinda made me giggle to myself. Why? Because I know that I am not alone - many, many others have dealt with the same sewing mistakes as I have. Today I thought it might be fun to share Murphy's sewing laws. I hope that it brings a smile or two to your face, as it did mine!
Murphy's sewing laws

  • Fusible interfacings always fuse to the iron
  • The serge only eats the customer's garment
  • If you need 6 buttons, you will find 5 in your button box
  • The seam you meant to rip out is invariably the other one
  • When you are in a hurry, the needle eye is always too small
  • The fabric you forgot to pre-shrink will always shrink the most
  • The pattern you wanted to make again will have one key piece missing
  • If you drop something out of your sewing basket, it will be your box of pins, with the cover off
  • Whenever the construction process is going well, the bobbin thread runs out
  • The magnitude of the goof is in direct proportion to the cost of the fabric
  • Your lost needle will be found by your son, husband or brother-in-law, while walking around barefoot
  • Facings tend to be sewn to the wrong side (Opposite sides attract)
  • Collar points don't match, and you've trimmed all the seams
  • The iron never scorches the garment until its final pressing
  • The steam iron only burps rusty water on light silk fabric
  • The sewing machine light usually burns out on Sunday
  • Pinking shears get dull just by looking at them
  • Gathering threads always break in the middle
  • The scissors cut easiest past the buttonhole


I hope you enjoyed today's feature - be sure to 
check out all the other 31'ers HERE!


Please continue to follow me here for

7 comments:

Southern Gal said...

So true.

Sewconsult said...

All happened at least once...or more times in my sewing room. Worst nightmare was clipping the basting stitching in pleated dress in the final stage of the construction (Children's Corner Anne, I think) before hemming. Fortunately, I had a piece of the Imperial broadcloth in my stash to make a new skirt front for the customer's dress. Big UGH!
Beckie

Ginny said...

These are very true. I bet we could add even more!

Laurie said...

I know I could add more! lol

Laurie with the beauty of your work one would never know these things happen to you.

Donna said...

I can't believe it- I was just making up my own list of Murphy's Law for sewing yesterday! Here are some additions that I discovered in my last project.

If you make a mistake, you will only find it after you put on the finishing touches and it's too late to fix it.

The mistake that is not fixable will be right in the center front where no one can miss it!

If you run out of floss mid-smocking, the one color you needed will be out of stock at the fabric store.

When you go to another store that does have that floss in stock, it will be a different color dye lot and not match the 12 rows of smocking you've already completed on a 16 row design.

The child you measured three weeks ago will have grown 6 inches making that dress much shorter than you intended!

Jeannie B. said...

I loved your list....so true!

Hannah said...

I'm not the only one with sewing weeks like that!!! Thanks for letting us know that it even happens to the experts :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails