Thursday, October 27, 2011

31 days of sewing: snaps again!

I didn't get my tutorial on adding a reversible snap crotch to a Jon-Jon quite finished today, but it should be completed soon! 
Since I wrote this blog post, I've had many ask more specific questions about how I attach snaps. I decided I would answer a few of those questions in my sewing journal today.
I had several write me and ask about the snap-tape - just how I get it sewn on - many of my readers have issues in using snap-tape. When I use snap-tape, I always use my zipper foot to attach it - this allows me to get my needle up close to the snaps without bumping into them, or worse yet, breaking a needle by bumping into the snap!
I prefer to use gripper snaps, and here's the ones I recommend:
I use several methods to attach the snaps:
Gripper-pliers, The SnapSetter & a hammer!
The details will be in my new tutorial coming
just as soon as I get it finished. I have all the slides
complete, I just have to do the talk-overs on the 
slides to walk you thru the tutorial!
*     *     *     *     *
I hope you enjoyed today's feature - be sure to 
check out all the other 31'ers HERE!

Please continue to follow me here for


2 comments:

Laurie said...

I discovered while making a Trendy Gown that if you put some Wash Away Basting Tape (it's a bit gooy) in the bottom of the Snap Setter tool that the top (ring) of the snap will stay put! I have had a terrible time with them sliding where I don't want them.

Sewconsult said...

My method to prevent the falling out of the ring is to turn the pliers upside down. But in looking at your pliers, I realize that mine have rubber "gasket" type things around the snap-part-sitting places. The gasket helps to hold the snap parts in place. I have a love-hate relationship with grommets and snaps. When it comes to the overalls that button on the shoulders, I would just as well undo at the shoulders, especially if the child is at the age that he or she can stand. Great post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails