Thursday, October 6, 2011

31 days of sewing: what's in a dress? History & family connection

When I started on this 31 days of sewing series, I knew that coming up with ideas to share would not be a problem - finding making time to blog each day is the challenge! 
Today's feature is THE most special project I have ever worked on. It's so special to me that I have incorporated it within my logo for my website, Southern Stitches.

This gown, which I named "Lucy's Lace Legacy" was the very first item I was honored to have grace the cover of Sew Beautiful magazine.
 
"Lucy's Lace Legacy" was inspired by a lace vintage dress that belonged to my grandmother, Lucille Walker. Here is a photograph of the original dress:
The dress dates back to the early 1900's. I acquired this dress from my Mother, who found it after my grandmother had passed away. My Mom was cleaning out some drawers at my Grandmother's house when she came upon something neatly wrapped in blue tissue paper. After opening it she found this beautiful lace dress. Not knowing anything about the history of the dress, she went on a quest to find out if the dress had been her's, her sister's, their mother's or perhaps someone else. Several days later she found a box in my grandmother's garage containing old photographs.

Within that box, she came upon a picture (above) of my grandmother sitting upon her grandfather's lap wearing the dress that my mother had found in my grandmother's drawer! Mystery solved! What a keepsake! Since I sew and love antique heirloom things, my mom gave me the dress and the photograph!  I had the dress and the photograph framed together to preserve them. Instead of just preserving and displaying the vintage lace dress, I decided to take on a challenge and recreate the vintage lace dress using cotton lace tulle and my embroidery machine.

Tomorrow I will share details about recreating "Lucy's Lace Legacy"!
I hope you enjoyed today's feature - be sure to check out all the other 31'ers HERE!
Please continue to follow me here for


2 comments:

Mona @ la la by mona said...

Oh how lucky to have found the dress and know its history! What a treasure for you and your family. Your dress is beautiful!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

What an absolute treasure! How awesome to have the photo and the dress. Your grandmother was a beautiful little girl.

Blessings & Aloha!
I am way way behind in my bog visits. But wanted to say hello! And we found out our daughter is having a baby girl :o) I would love your advice on a pattern dress that I could smock (something not tooo advanced :o) ...and I will need to relook at your how to video from which I found you, on using the pleater!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails