Thursday, December 1, 2011

practically perfect plaid bias tape

Rarely do I ever use packaged bias tape - I just don't like the quality of most of it, so therefore I almost always make my own. Making my own bias tape allows me to perfectly match the good quality fabrics I use in sewing and gives me endless possibilities in the use of fabrics and prints. It can be a bit time-consuming, but it's well worth the time it takes to make it! 
I just finished this pajama set for my grandson and made my own bias tape for the top.
I probably never would have thought of teaming up this plaid bias with the brown flannel fabric, until I saw the same plaid in the pj pant print. It just made sense to make the bias for this top in the plaid. I think it turned out really cute! 
Here's a short tutorial on how I made the plaid bias and I didn't even have to use a straight edge! 
Sometimes the fabric print will not be on the exact bias, so if you cut it, using a straight edge on the true bias, it will end up off, and then your bias will look really crooked. With a plaid or even gingham print, it makes it so easy to cut on the bias and you don't even have to use a straight edge! You will end up with practically perfect bias every time! .  
I measured off how wide I wanted my bias, which was 2". I then followed the plaid print of the fabric and using my rotary cutter, I just cut on the diagonal of each plain red square and each plaid square - just as easy as that! I let my eyes follow the diagonal of each square as I cut the strip of fabric. 
 I had to join strips to make a long bias tape, so I made sure that I totally matched my plaids so that the seam would virtually disappear! 
 How's that for perfect matching of the plaid?!? 
Next step was to bring both cut edges 
together in the center and press.
I then opened out the bias tape and machine stitched it to the cut edges of the pj top. My bias tape since it was perfectly cut on the bias of the print of the fabric, rather than the true bias of the fabric, runs in the exact pattern run all the way around the top.Taking time to perfectly cut your bias tape is a step worth taking, as you will get the   
I then folded the tape over the edge to the back and whip-stitched the entire inside edge. I could have top-stiched the bias tape on for quicker results, but I think bias tape looks much better when you take the time to  sew it on, then whip-stitch on the inside of the garment.
I hope you like this short little tutorial and that it inspires you to make your own bias tape on your next sewing project!
When my grandson saw his pajamas, he couldn't wait to put them on - I had to quick set the elastic waist and hem the pants, then he was one happy boy who was ready for bed! Since my tree isn't up yet, he went out on my front porch for a quick and cold photo shoot!
I'm now ready to duplicate this set for my 1 year old other grandson - can't wait to see the boys together in their pj's! By the way....I know I will get inquiries on what pattern I used - it is my own drafted pattern - look for it soon as an ePattern at Brer Rabbit Designs!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laurie,just adorable!!(both the pj's AND the grandson). Thanks for the tip on how you cut the bias on the print, rather than on the true bias; the results are great. I also draft my own patterns for the grands; thanks for the inspiration
Susan

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails