Sunday, January 8, 2012

my kitchen makeover

I spent New Year's Day painting my kitchen. It was blue, and it's been blue for several years, but it became a drab, depressing, cold, and un-inviting blue.  
Now it's a bright, happy, warm and inviting RED and I couldn't be a happier girl! Painting was relatively painless and went quite quickly. Ohhh, how I loved the shade of red with each stroke of the brush! 
I found the perfect fabric to make my curtains, then got busy sewing! The fabric is a black and white Toile and I used black and white gingham ribbon for the ties. I didn't have a pattern that I followed, I just winged it.  I actually got inspired by a picture of a butterfly valance I saw on PinterestI am seriously addicted to that website - feel free to find and follow me! :)
Here's a few pictures of my "new" kitchen and the butterfly valences that I made.
 Excuse the whompiness of the one valance on the right patio door
I didn't notice that the ruffle above the rod was pushed down like that!
The cabinet under the "Bistro" sign is the "feeding station"
for our dog - makes it the perfect nook for hiding away 
the food and water and keeping it up off the floor!

I should have taken two more pictures - to the far right is a breakfast bar and on the other side of that is the eating area of our kitchen that you saw in the previous pictures. Opposite of the breakfast bar is a wall of more cabinets, a pantry and my refrigerator, which is built-in.
All the hardware on my cabinets will soon be replaced with black (or dark brown) handles. I need 30 handles and every place I found handles that I liked, they would only have 28 or 29 handles available! I hate that!
I have hardwood floors in my kitchen and my next plan is to find a new rug for under the table and chairs that picks up the red, black and white. I also plan to make a tablecloth or table runner that will match my butterfly valences.
Sewing for the home has been a fun change in the action for me, but sewing for children will always be my first love!
I hope you enjoyed the change of focus in what I usually share in my Sewing Journal with a peek inside my "new" kitchen!


4 comments:

Sewconsult said...

It looks great! I would have loved the "before", too. I am such a blue fanatic. I am needing a kitchen makeover. Stuck in the early 90's, but there other projects that will come before that. The hardware replacement will be the biggest expense, other than the rug! If you are shopping in Brentwood, there's Brentwood Interiors on Wilson Pk (near the post office). I was surprised at their reasonable prices on rugs when I bought one for our sunroom. (I expected really high prices.) Good luck with the final touches.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

Goosegirl said...

Oh Laurie it is so pretty!!! I love the red! The new kitchen is wonderful!!!

Connie said...

Great Job Laurie, I love the red. It makes the kitchen sing. Did you stencil the scroll work above the valences or are they purchased metalwork? Very nice touch. Finishes the window treatments perfectly. Looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Terry and Linda Lee said...

I really like the change to your rooms. I love read and I do so like the toile. I have some similar and thought it would make a gorgeous apron with ecru lace trim on the two ruffles. My daughter looked at my pattern, the fabric and put her dibs on the combination. I ordered her a book on getting to know her sewing machine. I think I'll trace out the pattern, send her some of my fabric and lace and have her sew it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails