Thursday, February 23, 2012

no pattern pillow tute

Pillows and pillowcases are so easy to make that you don't even need a pattern. After using my Bernina Embroidery Software and Silhouette Cameo to create, cut and sew my applique, I decided I just HAD to make it into somethingIf you missed that lesson, you can read it here!
The Chocolate Lab applique was created because I have a Chocolate Lab, who is just a little over a year old - she's still very much a puppy! I used the applique to make a pillow and decided it would work nicely for a tutorial.


First decide what size pillow you want to make - then get a pillow form - these are available at most sewing and hobby stores in a variety of shapes and sizes.
 After appliqueing the fabric, lay a long strip of fabric out centering the applique on the top of the pillow form.
 Since I wanted my pillow to button in the front on the top, I folded the fabric under the pillow and allowed for an overlap to the front. I turned under the raw edge...
 ...then folded the flap up to where I wanted it on the top of the pillow. Use pins to mark where the folded flap will be and also where the side edge of the other side of the pillow will be.
Take out the pillow form and turn the fabric inside out. Pin sides together - make sure the button flap is overlapped like mine.
This cane be a little tricky - make sure that the right side overlaps the left, as   shown above.
 Pin the whole length of the flap to keep it together.
 Sew or serge the side seams only.
 Finished side seams
Turn right side out and press...
 Using a quilters ruler and a marking pen, mark where the buttonholes will be sewn. 
 Make sure you evenly space the buttons.
 Cut a strip of stabilizer - this will be used to reinforce the buttonhole flap.
 Tuck the stabilizer (or interface) into the flap, as shown.
 Sew buttonholes, then sew buttons on!
Tuck the pillow form into the opening of the pillowcase and the pillow is complete! I love making re-movable pillowcases for pillows for several reasons - they are easy to take off and wash when they get dirty and it's easy to make up several different pillowcases to change out your decor! It's also a great way to use up some larger scraps of fabric that you have! 

Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails