Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sewing with Silhouette Cameo

 A few weeks ago I splurged and bought myself a new gadget! It's a Silhouette Cameo! I have been researching and reading all I could about them and decided I just HAD to have one! Since sewing is my first and foremost favorite hobby, my goal was to be able to cut fabric with it. My niece sent me a photo-text the other day with an adorable key chain and asked if I could make one. That inspired me to do some experimenting!
I am so pleased with the results of my experiment, that I decided to share a tutorial on how to make it! A Silhouette Cameo makes it so quick and easy, but if you don't have one, you can still make this cute key chain. My tutorial tho, will show how to make it using the Silhouette Cameo.
I LOVE the software that comes with the SC - very easy to learn! I imported the shape I wanted my key chain to be, and since I needed one for the top and one for the bottom, I duplicated the shape.
I chose two scraps of fabric and ironed them down on Heat 'n Bond lite.
I then peeled away the paper from the back of the fabric. This leaves a rubbery back to the fabric, which is an adhesive when I iron it later.
I placed the two scraps of Heat 'n Bond backed fabric to my cutting mat.
Then loaded it in the Silhouette Cameo and started cutting.
When the machine finished cutting, I peeled away the fabric!
Here is the top and bottom pieces to my Key Chain!
I went back to my software and created an "L", choosing a nice
fat font. I first made sure that the L would fit in the scalloped
circle, then removed the circle and sent the L to the Silhouette Cameo.
Using felt, I ironed Heat 'n Bond lite to the back and peeled away the paper.
I positioned the felt to the cutting mat
...and loaded it in the Silhouette Cameo! Since this is felt, 
I had to set the cutting blade to #10 and had it run 2 passes.
Once it finished cutting, I peeled the excess felt away
...and now I have a perfect letter "L"!
Now it's time to head to the sewing machine!
I wanted another piece of felt between the two printed fabrics.  Note: I could have cut another scallop circle out of the pink felt, but truth is, I got tired of running up and down the stairs because I was working in two different rooms on this project - remember this was just an experiment! It actually did make it easier sewing with the pink felt being left  in a square tho.
I ironed the scallop circle and the "L" to the felt to secure.
I chose a thread color
...and set my machine to stitch a triple stitch.
I stitched just inside the "L" all the way around the letter.
The "L" is completed!
Now it's time to trim away the excess pink felt,
following the scallop all the way around.
I cut about a 4" length of Grosgrain ribbon,
which is to loop around the key chain.
 Fold the ribbon in half and sandwich it between
the layers. Make sure the bottom layer has the
Heat 'n Bond lite side up.
Press all layers together with iron.
Head back to the sewing machine and using the
triple stitch, stitch all the way around the scalloped
circle, following the scallops.
Completed Key Chain! Now wasn't that easy?!
I LOVE my Silhouette Cameo and I am looking forward to experimenting with it for machine applique!
I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and that it has inspired you!

34 comments:

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

OMG! I want one, too! Ever since I saw Mary Corbet's review I've sort of wanted one, but your post has put me over the edge! So I think that if I clean my sewing space so that it is so not like a hurricane disaster center, I will treat myself to one. Darling key chain, maybe you could make an extra w/ a C? :)

Angie said...

Thanks, Laurie!! Maybe I'll get mine out of the box soon!!

Bridget said...

Laurie, that is precious!! I have been debating one of those machines, and had no idea it could cut fabric. Did you need to fray check the edges or anything?

Lani said...

This is so adorable! I may just have to try to make a similar one with my embroidery machine! Thanks for the tutorial.

Maria Perez said...

I love this! I as well have a cameo and looove it dearly, I have been wandering about the felt I know felt has many fibers did it get stuck in your blade housing at all? Thanks for the awesome tutorial, I will be attempting as soon as I get some felt sheets!

I run a group on FB, largest group on FB for all cameo/SD users and you should come join in! www.facebook.com/groups/allthingsSILHOUETTE

Jocelyn said...

This would make a great tag to hang from your luggage to make it easy to spot. I don't have the Cameo - yet - but I just might try making this to match my Very Bradley bag.

Jan said...

That's the fun craftsy kind of stuff I like to play around with.

Keianna said...

Love this. Thanks for sharing.

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

Ooh, I just love this! I got my cameo about a month ago, and I haven't been brave enough to try fabric yet. This seems like just the project for me today. Thanks for sharing! :)

Belinda said...

Great tutorial. I got my Cameo for applique cutting but haven't tried it on fabric yet. I've been curious about how it would cut felt. Also thinking about using it to cut Oil Cloth & Laminated Cotton. I did get an extra blade which I plan to use for fabric only.
Just curious - did you try upping the "thickness" setting at lower blade settings for the felt?

jennie w. said...

I've got some lovely felt and have been dying to know if the Cameo will cut it (I'm hoping for a Cameo for my birthday this spring!) So glad to finally get an answer!

Adorable keychain!

Robin said...

I found your blog via the silhouette blog. I'm taking your button to add to my blog. Is there a way to follow you via email?

Thanks!

robin :-)

Country Mouse said...

This is just adorable!!! I have a cricut and a cuttlebug, I may give it a try with those.
Thank you so much for sharing!!!
audrey

Anne Kristine said...

Wow! this is just gorgeous!
Thanks for the tutorial ♥
Anne Kristine

Beema said...

Loved this! Thank you so much. I just recently purchased an SC too - and love it. I was so happy to see your tutorial tho - because I'm a quilter and hoped to use it for applique techniques as well! Thank you!

SunnyNP said...

This is great! What blade settings did you use to cut the fabric and heatnbond lite?

MC said...

Wow, thanks for sharing! Didn't know that it would be able to cut FELT too (my *other* cutter isn't able to do that) ! Thought it might be to "stringy", but it cut out the letter "L" so cleanly! So excited to try it when I have time!!!

joelma mota said...

Oh! What wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing. I´ve never cut felt in to my silhouette machine. I will try! Thanks a lot and congrats! Joelma Mota by silhouettemania.com

Varada said...

Beautiful! I am planning to get one Silhoutte Cameo for myself and I am so happy to learn that it can cut fabic as well as felt. Thanks a lot for sharing,

xoxo,
~Varada

Zima said...

Gorgeous! Thank's for the tutorial, I even may try to do one myself... :)

Cheryl @ That's What Che Said said...

This is so adorable! I found your awesome tutorial via the Silhouette blog! I love your projects!!! Thanks for the tips on cutting felt also! I was totally curious about that! Have an awesome day!

Bee's hive said...

OMG! THIS is one of the cutest things I've ever seen! Thanks for sharing:0) congrats on that cameo...I would've bought one tonight if I would've had the money in my little man hands...

angel said...

Hello,

Did you use heat n bond for the felt "L" or did you use silhouette interfacing. Mine interfacing never looks so smooth from the back, any tips about using the interfacing would be great!

Thanks

Scrap by Grice said...

Hello,
Congratulation! this is just gorgeous!
I loved your blog
Thanks for the tutorial
I will become her follower
kisses
Grice

Scrap by Grice said...

Hello,
Congratulation! this is just gorgeous!
i loved your blog
Thanks for the tutorial
I will become her follower
Kisses
Grice

Scrap by Grice said...

Hello,
Congratulation! this is just gorgeous!
i loved your blog
Thanks for the tutorial
I will become her follower
Kisses
Grice

Quilly Nilly said...

Love it. I've had my Cameo for many months and have not figured out all the cool things I can do with it - the fact I can cut fabric is so awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Shannon H said...

Just got mine, mostly for similar purposes. Now to make space for Cameo and computer. Almost wish I had SD to avoid computer space in there. So glad to see you used felt. Plan on making felt food when LO is older.

Victoria Frail said...

Hi, I wanted to check if you had used the Sil Fabric blade, if you only used Heat n Bond and what settings (depth and speed) you cut on?
Do you use a separate mat for fabric cutting?

Thanks

Melody M said...

Hi! Sorry if this is a dumb question, cuz I'm nearly a non-sewer, but are you doing some very intricate sewing up there, or some free-motion embroidery? Thanks!

Jung Sun said...

Thank you for your tutorial! It was exactly what I was looking for!

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

I finally got around to doing this today, and loved it! How easy the silhouette made it. I did a trial run, but will for sure be making a few more. I had tried a few times to cut fabric and was finally successful! Thanks for the awesome tutorial!

Megan said...

I didn't think the Cameo could cut felt!! Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial! Why did you use the triple stitch? I'm new to sewing and still learning. Thanks!

Megan

Arte Sana Sonia said...

Me encanto el llavero, gracias por compartir!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails