Thursday, August 30, 2012

a sew month celebration!

Did you know that September 
is National Sewing Month? 
I am very honored to have been asked to participate in Sew Beautiful Magazine's Sew Month Celebration with some fellow bloggers to promote National Sewing Month on my blog throughout the entire month of September! 
I have all kinds of ideas of what I want to share on my blog in September, and one of them is a brand-new monogramming software program that I am taking for a test-drive! I can't wait to share with you some of the amazing things this software is capable of! Of course, I will be sharing many other sewing and sewing-related things too!

So what is National Sewing Month all about anyway?
History of National Sewing Month
On September 21, 1982, at the request of the American Home Sewing & Craft Association, an industry and trade association supporting the sewing and craft industries, President Ronald Reagan, under Proclamation #4976, declared September as National Sewing Month "in recognition of the importance of home sewing to our Nation." 

There is much more history to read on National Sewing Month and if you want more history, you can read all about that HERE! It's quite interesting, so I encourage you to take a look!
In 2008, for the first time, National Sewing Month featured a project, the Anti-Ouch Pouch, which is a wedge-shaped pillow designed for women to ease the painful area under the arm after a mastectomy. Developed by Deon Maas, an ASG (American Sewing Guild) member and Sew News contributor, the Anti-Ouch Pouch is ASG's 2008 National Service Project.

September is a time to celebrate our passion with National Sewing Month, but we know the creative, therapeutic and calming effects of sewing are joys we can celebrate throughout the entire year!

Please join me at SewNso's Sewing Journal throughout the month of September and hop to all the other blogs that are participating (list coming soon) - I promise it will be "sew" fun!



2 comments:

Elsie said...

Laurie it sounds "sew" fun and I will be back. Thanks!

Sewconsult said...

Great post. I'll be looking forward to the results of your test-drive of the new software. I have been on a hiatus of machine embroidery, so I need some motivation and enticement.
Beckie in Brentwood, TN

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails