Friday, September 28, 2012

{bridging the gap}

I love starting new projects - especially projects with new and unique techniques! I recently purchased two sweet baby daygown books from Martha Pullen Company. I've wanted these two books for a long time, and let me tell you, they are dripping with some of the most gorgeous baby daygowns that you have ever seen! 
It wasn't hard to decide which daygown to make first - the one on the cover of the square yoke collection caught my eye immediately! Even tho I don't have any girls to sew for, I can always add to my "grand-daughter hope chest" - right?!
I bought two bolts of fabric from BessieMary's closing sale recently, and the pink pima cotton windowpane will be the perfect choice for the Madeira Hem!
This day gown has so many unique and awesome techniques that I thought it would make the perfect project for a sew-a-long! I hope you enjoy following along as I make this gorgeous daygown. I will not be following it exactly as it is instructed in the book - there will be some changes of my own, along with tips and tricks that I will share along the way!
The first technique I am going to show is what I call 
"Bridging the Gap"
The collar on this gown is nothing short of amazing! The technique is actually called "fagoting" and it is a stitch that is created (on this project) to join bias tubing (or lace) to to the collar. 
After cutting out the collar, I created bias tubing by cutting a 1" bias strip and stitching it together, turning it right side out and pressing it, creating a 1/4" tubing. Since I am making the daygown in size 3 months, I won't be needing as many rows of bias tubing. Size 3 months has just one row of bias tubing attached to the collar. 
The book instructions are for machine fagoting to attach the bias tube to the collar. I chose to "bridge the gap" by hand.
Using water soluble sticky stabilizer, I pulled the paper away and pressed my finished collar right side up onto the sticky stabilizer. I then measured 1/4" away from the collar edge and placed my bias tubing with the seam towards the collar edge.
I tossed away the paper portion of the sticky stabilizer and cut a piece of regular water soluble stabilizer, placing it on top of the sticky stabilizer.
I then traced around the collar, then peeled the 
water soluble stabilizer away and cut out the collar.
I then placed the water soluble stabilizer outer edge onto the sticky stabilizer. This will keep your hands from sticking to the stabilizer, but will hold your collar and bias tubing in place so that you can work your stitches!  
I am using tiger tape and DMC 80wt tatting thread.
Using the tiger tape, which is perfectly marked at
intervals, I put a piece on either side of the 1/4" gap.
This stitch is worked sort of like a figure 8. I am making my stitches on the black lines and centered between them, so 3 stitches from bar to bar. Take about a 1/8th inch "bite" into the collar, keeping thread below the needle and pull thread thru fabric.
 Next stitch is to bring needle thru tubing towards the collar,
keeping thread below the needle and pull thru. You will work
this same sequence all the way around the collar. The tiger tape
helps you keep all your stitches evenly spaced!
After you get the hang of it, you might not even need
 the tiger tape to keep your stitches evenly spaced!

 This stitch looks much harder than it is,
and it's fun to make and goes quite quickly! 
 Isn't it beautiful? 
 TIP: Use a lighted magnifying glass to work your
stitches! It really helps a lot! 
 "Bridging the Gap" is completed! What do you think?

My next project is needle tatting a lace edging all the way around the collar!






6 comments:

Elsie said...

Laurie you make it look so simple when you do a project. I would love to try the "fagoting" but where do you find the tiger tape.
Gosh I wish I lived closer to you so I could get lessons in smocking.
My grandtwins are to big but I love to smock and create. I have had a 6 hr. lesson and that is all. I had to go to the next state to get that. Thanks for all your tudorials and tips.
reeree1949@bellsouth.net

kole said...

Wonderful info and very helpful! You really do make it look easy.

Leslie Anne said...

That is a beautiful collar. It inspires me to try more hand sewing. Thanks!

Claudia said...

I just found you via pinterest and this collar is so very pretty! I have been thinking about fagotting a lot lately and never really dared to give it a try. Your photos inspire me so much I think i must start on something alike. Thank you so much for the inspiration and your very good photos which help a lot! Greetings from Germany

Claudia said...

Thank you so much for the inspiration. Your photos are a great help and I think I will start on something similar. It's a wonderful idea! Greetings from Germany

Texas Susannie said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails