Wednesday, October 2, 2013

...a time to smock

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven. In my life there is always a season and a time to smock...and it's just heavenly!
As a little girl, my mother and my grandmother always had me in smocked dresses. When I got married and had my daughter, I wanted the same for her, so it was then that I taught myself how to smock. Over 30 years later I am still smocking and loving every single minute of it!
One of my favorite types of floss to use, is DMC Perle Cotton #8. It comes on spools, as shown in top picture. I like it because you only have to use one strand of floss and it has a really pretty sheen to it! It also gives a more raised look to the smocking stitches, making the smocking stand out a little more!
Even tho I have literally gazillions of smocking plates, often times I just make up a smocking design as I smock along. 
Baby bonnets and bishops are my most favorite items to smock! If you don't know how to smock, I hope I have inspired you to learn! I have many tutorials online, which you can find at the top of this page in the tabs! I am also working on a special project, especially for beginner smockers, so keep watch here at SewNso's Sewing Journal for more information coming soon!







2 comments:

marsha said...

What needle do you use when Smocking with Perle cotton?

Mosaic Magpie said...

I will be looking forward to what you have in mind for beginning smockers!
Deb

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails