Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Christmas inspiration

Snowflakes were flying off and on this morning here in Middle TN. I know that much of the country is frigid cold right now, so I decided to post a little Christmas inspiration to get you motivated!
Smocked bishops are my all-time favorite dress to make! It takes a bit of time to smock, but the great thing about them is that they are timeless classics. There is also little fitting involved and they seem to fit for a longer period of time than a regular fitted dress.  
My Christmas inspiration bishops have endless design possibilities. Using my "Baubles and Glister" smocking plate, I changed up the color of thread and fabric and have two totally different looking dresses! Both dresses were featured in Sew Beautiful Magazine's Holiday issue in 2011.
For the "Baubles" style, I used red and green colored buttons for the baubles and smocked with DMC perle' cotton #8 in red and green. On the skirt of the dress, I added a contrast panel and also used the contrast fabric on the sleeves. The edges of the sleeves are adorned with 2 sizes of rick rack.
For the "Glister" style, I used a pretty ice-blue fabric and pearl beads for the glister. I smocked this dress in white DMC perle' cotton #8. I used white narrow rick rack just below the bias neck band and on the edges of the sleeves.
As you can see, these two dresses have a complete different look but were both made using the same pattern and same smocking plate! The fabric for these two dresses is from Anna Griffin and unfortunately it is no longer available. 
You can purchase the bishop ePattern and "Baubles & Glister" smocking plate for these smocked bishop dresses at Brer Rabbit Designs.



3 comments:

Esther Conrad Grant said...

One of my all time favorites!

Mosaic Magpie said...

As a new smocker it is good to see how 1 smocking plate can look so different with a color change. Thanks!

Country Needles said...

This was my very first bishop that I smocked - I chose the snowflake fabric, for my daughter who was a few months shy of 2. It turned out beautiful! That was two years ago! And I have smocked many more since. Blessings!
Nicole aka "Country Needles"

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails