Saturday, February 7, 2015

Sweet Vintage-inspired Baby Frock

Vintage baby frocks and vintage patterns are my most sought-after treasure! Yes, I am all about the thrill of the hunt and nothing is more satisfying than unearthing a truly incredible piece (or five) from another era! 
Often times the vintage garments and patterns I find come with unknown facts about where it came from. Many times I find a spectacular piece and wonder how a particular unique technique was done. This just intrigues me to purchase the garment to figure it all out! Just wait till you see some of the Vintage pieces I've purchased that I plan to re-create this year! I thrive on the challenge and it's all about seeking incredible treasures and letting my creative juices flow in re-creating the piece!
Such was the case with this little frock. The 1930's vintage pattern was an incredible find and had never been cut into or used at all! The instructions were very sketchy (like one small paragraph on tissue paper in multiple languages) and I had one little confusing diagram to follow...the rest was left to me to figure out!
As with most vintage patterns I find, I made changes to the original - I always like to put my own twist on something to make it unique. With this one, I decided to try to re-create all the embroidery with my Bernina 780. I started out by making some design changes and then digitizing the embroidery for the dress. The results were incredible!
Center Front of skirt
Front Yoke
Back Yoke
Sleeve Cuff
Dress Front
Dress Back
As you might expect, it took multiple hoopings to create all the embroidery on this little frock. Careful repositioning and lining up of the hoop was also something that takes a bit of know-how and patience. This is where printing off templates is a must. Much of this frock was created in-the-hoop!
I am extremely pleased with my first test stitch out of the designs and I have little, if any, tweaking that needs to be done. The vintage design makes this modern-day gown look like a true heirloom piece!
This little frock will soon be offered as an eClass at Southern Stitches. I will be teaching several techniques in the eClass; using templates and lining up designs in multiple hoopings, entredeaux on a curve, painless plackets, wing stitching and more! All machine embroidery designs along with my revised pattern will be included. More info coming soon! Follow me on Facebook and please subscribe to SewNso's Sewing News Journal.


2 comments:

Lace Faerie said...

A wonderfully sweet gown! Must have been exciting to get your hands on a brand new vintage (antique?) pattern!
Love all the dainty details!

Mary Voss said...

I love this pattern and would be interested in purchasing the digitized embroidery pattern if you would sell it. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails