Wednesday, June 3, 2015

{thread weaving in smocking}

Hey there, I'm still alive...and still smocking - sometimes I just get so busy that I forget neglect my Sewing Journal.
I have been working on a little smocked bishop for the past several weeks...or is it months? I am in no hurry to get it done since it's not for any particular person or event - it's just for the love of smocking! Rainy~dreary days are perfect days to sit and smock when I can't get outside and enjoy the sunshine. 
I am using Southern Stitches Pink Petunias PDF Smocking plate for this project. I already have a smocked bonnet prepped to smock when I get the bishop done. In this design, one of the unique aspects is thread weaving within the smocking. This might be new to some people, so I thought I would share how easy it is to accomplish.

This "stitch" really adds a pop, as you can see in the photo above!

I started my project by choosing floss colors, which ironically coordinated with the pants I was wearing that day! 

One of the most asked questions I get is what kind of floss I use in my smocking. I am using DMC Coton Perle #8. What I like about this floss is that 1 strand of it is equal to about 3 strands of regular embroidery floss. This is a time-saver for me. I don't have to strip the floss and I can get right into my smocking. The other perk with this floss is that it has a beautiful sheen to it! I use a #7 or #9 darning or crewel needle.
PDF Smocking plates are also a handy item! I can load the smocking plate up on my iPad and have a perfectly lighted smocking plate that is so easy to take along with me without the fear of losing it or it getting damaged.
When starting the first row of waves, I always start from the center and work out so that I can be assured that my design will be perfectly centered once all smocking is complete.
 This is a good closeup of how beautiful this thread is!
After working two rows of waves, it's time to start the thread weaving.
Just slide your needle up and down under the center cable stitches of the two rows of wave stitches, creating the weave! Sometimes it's easier to even use the eye end of the needle so that the point doesn't get caught up in the floss. You could also use a small lacing needle for this stitch. Don't pull too taut, you want a nice loopy look - almost like a pique. 
I have had some ask if the weave stays when the garment is washed - yes, I have never had a problem of it coming out or getting misshapen. 
Hope you like this sweet embellishment and can add it to your next smocking project!
Stay tuned - I will share this ensemble when it is all completed!


3 comments:

Alexandriaweb said...

Oh wow that is so pretty, I really must take the plunge and start smocking!

Dave and Kay said...

So beautiful! After a frustrating hour spent trying to get a smart tv to talk to the dvd player.....and failing...., my evening brightened up when I read your blog. An exquisite project!

Linda Paine said...

I must give this a try. I have added ribbon weaving to my smocking, but never thought about weaving floss. What a wonderful idea! Thank you

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails