Wednesday, July 29, 2015

time flies...but memories last forever

Seems like the older I get the faster time flies...as if there are fewer hours in the day than when I was a child - haha! I guess it's due to more responsibilities as you grow older and everyday busyness that makes it seem like time is passing too quickly. One thing is for sure, once it's gone, you can't get it back. I have to constantly remind myself that time is precious, so make good use of it. That in itself, is something I struggle with on a daily basis, especially when it pertains to sewing.  A little glitch in the sewing room, or not, can gobble up my precious time, and my sewing time is very precious to me! 
I've often looked at others and wondered how in the world they seem to have more time than me when everyone has the same 24 hours in a day. Some women can pump out more sewing projects from their sewing room than I can in a lifetime! ...or "sew" it "seams"! My first thought is, what am I doing wrong? Do I have a problem with time management? Then on the flip-side, I have people look at my creations and say, "oh, I wish I had time to sew" or had time to learn to sew. I've even been asked how I find time to get so much sewing done. Who? Me? What? I think that is what made me really dig a little deeper and look at the big picture. It took me awhile to figure it out, but I finally realized some key principles to successful sewing, at least for me!
  • Key #1: I don't find the time to sew..I have to make time to sew! Oh, it's not easy...in fact, at times it's a struggle, but when you are passionate about something, you figure out how to make time!  
  • Key #2: I keep multiple projects going at the same time. One day I might feel like heirloom sewing and another day I might not. Having that choice and what sewing mood I am in that day, goes a long way in sewing success. I almost always have something pleated up, just waiting to be smocked. I also have hand embroidery set aside that I am working on. If I can't be at my sewing machine, then at least I can be smocking something or working the hand embroidery on a project. That kind of work is also great to pop into a zip-lock bag and take with you when you have places you have to go where you sit and otherwise waste time - like a doctors office waiting room! This is how to make good use of otherwise wasted time!
  • Key #3: Stop comparing myself to others. This is a hard one, especially when my Facebook newsfeed is loaded with one project after another that my sewing friends have completed. I have to keep focused that my life is different - they might have more time to sew than I do - they manage their time differently than I do - they have different responsibilities and life circumstances than I have. It's not a race and I need to work at my own pace with my own timeline and find joy in the journey however much or little time I have. For me, the goal is not quantity, but quality. My goal is not to be in a hurry to complete a certain amount of items, but to do my best on whatever I am creating. I always enjoy time spent sewing and strive for doing my best and using good sewing techniques. 
  • Key #4: The time I have to sew has the potential to make memories that will last forever! That sweet bonnet that took a couple hours to make or an heirloom gown that takes 30 hours and months to create could last for many generations to come and become a legacy! I want to make sure what I create is worthy of making memories that last forever!
Time flies ~ make time to sew ~ the memories will last forever!



4 comments:

Sewbusymor said...

Funny that you would post on this topic today,,,as I sit here thinking 'am I the only one who jumps from one thing to the next>>??' It is impossible for me to stick with one project [unless there is an absolute deadline...like wedding/christening etc] and then there are the projects that 'had' deadlines that I stopped doing. Go figure. And then there is the issue of daily living and being a mom mom to my grands. Thanks for the re-affirmation that no matter what or when or how it gets done...we are making memories!! Karin

Dave and Kay said...

I love what you have written!

Eileen said...

We were just talking about this at SAGA in Chicago. One of the ladies in my chapter gets an amazing amount of work done. She treats it almost like a job and schedules time for it. If her husband is in his office working then she is sewing. I need to take a lesson from her!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Dear Laurie, Just wanted to stop by...It seems like forever, since I have blogged and visited, but as always, you inspire me with all your beautiful work!! We have gone from 1 three year old granddaughter, to a set of 8 month old twins (Georgia and Booker), one 6 month old grandson (Beau), and the youngest , a 2 month old granddaughter! These last 4 grandchildren were born within 6 months of each other!

Needless to say, I have lots of sewing and quilting on my to do list :)

Hugs to you!!
Blessings & Aloha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails