Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Needle Tatting

  1. I was recently working on a little tatting project, that I never finished and posted this photo to my Southern Stitches Facebook page. I was completely amazed and surprised at how many liked and commented on my photo! I never expected that there would be so many women wanting to learn the art! I love it when there is a needle art that so many take interest in learning - it helps keeps the art alive!
    What is Tatting and what's it used for?
    Tatting can be used to make lace edging as well as doilies, collars, and other decorative pieces. The tatted lace is formed by a pattern of rings and chains formed from a series of "cow hitch" or half-hitch knots, called double stitches, over a core thread.
    I have always been intrigued by tatting and one day several years ago, I decided that I would try to learn more about it and how easy or hard it might be to do. I researched both needle and shuttle tatting. I decided that I could probably grasp needle tatting much quicker than shuttle tatting, so that's where I narrowed my focus to. I found a fabulous book at Hobby Lobby that included 4 different sized needles and I was ready to try this gorgeous needle art out! I was actually quite surprised to find how quickly I caught on to it and it soon became one of my favorite needle arts! The book is mentioned in the video and highly recommended as it gives excellent step-by-step instructions with details photographs.
    Since I enjoyed all the likes and comments to my photo, I decided to make a little tutorial to demonstrate the basic technique of tatting. As mentioned in the video, I am no expect in the art, by any means! What I do hope to accomplish with the video is to inspire you to learn the skill. Please excuse the "ums" and "ahhs" at the beginning - it's difficult when you fly by the seat of your pants and create a video without any prior planning! That's just how I roll - I jump in with both feet and go for it! I hope this will inspire you to seek more information on learning the art of needle tatting! 


3 comments:

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

Very nice! I like the fact that you can make lace edgings to match the smocking, which is why I learned to tat. However, I learned shuttle tatting, but we can use the same patterns.

Sandy said...

I do the needle tatting. Going so far as to make the lace for the heirloom items for my daughter. I found it easier to pick up the skills for needle tatting versus the shuttle tatting. It is still my hope to master the shuttle tatting

Wanda Altman said...

Let me start off by saying I absolutely love your blog! I love to smock and now I am trying to learn how to needle tat. I mainly want to make tatting for babies heirloom dresses. Could you tell me what size thread and needle I need for this size tatting?
TIA and I hope you have a very blessed 2016 with lots more smocking inspirations!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails